This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

slow computer - iexplore.exe gone wild

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer is running extremely slow, esp on the internet. So I installed Firefox, and I really like this browser. However, my computer is not running much faster, so I checked task manager and low and behold, I had 12 iexplore.exe in the task manager - although I no longer use IE8. So, I scanned with MS Security Essentials (my AV) = clear. Then I scanned with Malwarebytes = clear. Started in safemode, scanned with Malwarebytes again = clean

So, I went to control panel>add/remove programs>set program Access and defaults and then unchecked Enable access to internet explorer.

Restarted and this seemed to help the computer, it is now running better, but still much slower than it was. But, after 1/2 hour, 3 of those iexplore.exe popped back into my task manager.

So, I scanned with Hijack This….results:

📎pmyvet_hjt.txt

If anyone can help ….I would greatly appreciate it!

Reason for edit: Remove HJT log and attach as as file. HJT logs not allowed anywhere except the Malware forum.
Hello pmyvet,

Sorry to hear you're having problems, and welcome to the WTT Forum. ^_^

Sounds like you have some Malware, so the best thing to do is to start a topic in our Malware Forum:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=27

Once you're given the green light just post back here if the problems persist. We'll try our best to help you solve the issue. :)


Cheers,
Nahumi
You might have a severely fragmented hard-drive. Diskeeper 2011 has just been released and it is the most advanced defragger on the market. They are also offering free trials from their website diskeeper.com

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI