This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

concerned about proxyoverride entry

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

A couple days ago there was some trouble opening Firefox - I'm sorry I don't have the exact error message. It wasn't happening every time I tried to open the browser.

I updated to the latest Firefox, and the error still happened.

I ran Hijackthis and noticed one entry I've never seen before:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1

I thought possibly it had something to do with the MVPS Hosts file that I installed some time ago, but I don't think that's the case. From my Google searches, it looks like something that would be present if this pc was using a proxy server, but I don't think it is (just a regular home computer).

I've run a number of updated scans: Avira Antivir, MBAM, BitDefender Online, ESET Online, Panda Activescan quick scan, Hitman Pro. None have detected anything. Avira and MBAM were run from Safe Mode yesterday morning, and Firefox has been opening OK since then.

There was a piece of spam in a secondary Outlook Express today. That's never happened on this machine - there are usually a couple pieces of spam in the main account, but not secondary.

This thread:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…=113471&hl=
shows an issue with this computer last summer. At that point we couldn't install DDS, so I'm just supplying a HJT log for this current issue. I did download OTL and can try that out if more info is needed.

Basically I'm wondering what's up with that proxyoverride entry.

Thanks a lot.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 11:46:08 AM, on 3/16/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\SbieSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe
C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\SbieCtrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DadApp] "C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\nwiz.exe" /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Internet Security] "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe" -h
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SandboxieControl] "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\SbieCtrl.exe"
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki… - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_2EC7709873947E87.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://a248.e.akamai.net
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.bitdefender.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://ssl-hints.netflame.cc
O16 - DPF: {01A88BB1-1174-41EC-ACCB-963509EAE56B} (SysProWmi Class) - http://support.dell.com/systemprofiler/SysPro.CAB
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/…can8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1263481292217
O16 - DPF: {7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5} - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard32.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: ASP.NET State Service (aspnet_state) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_state.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: COMODO Internet Security Helper Service (cmdAgent) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Sandboxie Service (SbieSvc) - SANDBOXIE L.T.D - C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\SbieSvc.exe

–
End of file - 5726 bytes

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
I thought possibly it had something to do with the MVPS Hosts file that I installed some time ago,

I'm sure that was from MVPS host and that is fine.
Thanks for the reply, LDTate. I wasn't sure about that entry. because I had MVPS Hosts file installed last summer when I had run some Hijackthis scans, and it didn't appear in those logs. I may have updated the hosts file since then, or switched it to Read Only. Maybe that could explain that addition to the HJT log? There haven't been any more problems with Firefox failing to open since my original post. I've run some additional AV/AM scans which have found naught. I have noticed that Auslogics Disk Defrag keeps finding Junk Files. Sometimes a combination of ATF-Cleaner and CCleaner is enough to eliminate them, and other times I've had to run TFC.exe and reboot to clear them. I hadn't been running that Auslogics program much recently, so I don't know if this accumulation of junk is anything new. I just looked at the Comodo DEF+ log and noticed one entry I didn't recognize. C:\Windows\Installer\MSI16.tmp attempted to Access Memory with cmdagent.exe as the target yesterday afternoon. It may have been when I was updating Java. I'm not sure. I searched for MSI16.tmp via Start -> Search -> All files and folders and found nothing. I couldn't determine much from Googling it - some sites said it was harmless, others that it could be a threat. Many of them were either Red or Yellow WOT sites, so I avoided them. Just wondered if that is anything you're familiar with/if I should be concerned with. Thanks!
Hi LDTate, If it doesn't look like there's anything amiss, feel free to end the thread. I've had a few Breakpoints the past couple days, which is a similar problem to what occurred in the thread I linked to above. If that continues I may try running that sfc scannow we used then. Firefox has still been opening fine. It did crash yesterday, but I think that was due to plugin-container.exe, which seems more intrusive in this latest update of FF. Since I've downloaded OTL I may try running that. I was looking at an OTL tutorial and it looked pretty interesting, but involved - I'll wait till I have some time. All the best.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI