This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

windows 7 'not responding' & other problems

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

More really than what is given in the title. I get a 'not responding' on the following: windows explorer, IE, WLM, applications,wmp, software installation cd/dvds to name a few. If I use task manager to end the programmes it doesn't work until I have clicked on end process about 10-12 times each time. If I try to close the window with the x in the right hand side, the window 'greys out', comes up that the programme is not responding and what do I want to do. Given the choice of close programme etc. Then windows is looking for a solution. Only there never is a solution. The window just closes and that's that. I have even had to resort to closing the pc down at the power button. Another glitch is folders that I don't have access to when I go to open them. When I go to change the security settings, I find they are already set at allow all. Close that and up comes 'You have been denied access to this folder'. The end. Another example - Although IE has been closed properly, when it is opened again, up comes a box that it was not closed properly, giving a choice of options to open it. I only installed this version of windows 7 just after Christmas 2010 and more problems seem to appear every day with what I have told above and other issues too numerous to mention here that I am thinking of reinstalling windows 7 again. Before that I had what turned out to be a non genuine version of 7 and didn't have this much bother. This 'not responding' on everything is really getting annoying to say the least. Sometimes data is lost and has to be redone because of it. There are programmes I have, but have not installed yet. Not much use installing if I can't use them. Before I do that and have no hair left, can anyone shed some light as to why all these things are happening. I checked event log the other day and it is a veritable array of red x's, warnings and critical messages. Don't understand what they mean. Last thing I'll mention here is that every time the pc is started and everything has loaded, there is a 'double dunt' noise, just like you would get if you attached/detached hardware. But nothing happens as a result of it. I could go on, but I think I've been on the soap box long enough already. Silly question I suppose, but could this be virus/malware etc doing this? Sorry to be so long winded. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley
You could try a system restore to before these problems started happening, but to me it sounds like a Melware problem. A post in the Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal section here at WTT might be a good idea. Cheers, Lee
Yes, as Lee said, it could be Malware. From your description though, the fastest way to get everything working again may be to start over by using the built in Recovery the computer manufacturer provides. Not my favorite way to do things but some times it's by far the fastest and safest way to clear up weird problems like this. How long has the computer been in use (how old is it). Do you have your data backed up? If not get it backed up ASAP.
Thanks for the replies. Lee: I have so many system restores done to try to fix this that I have run out of them. One thing I have noticed is that the times of the restore points are a different time to when I made any manual ones. I made one the other day before I installed a programme and when I was using system restore to try to fix the problems, I noticed the time of the manual restore was a couple of hours ahead of the actual time when I set it. I have put a post on the malware forum. Ztrucker: The pc is about 3 or 4 years old. All that is on my C:\ drive is windows and installed programmes. I keep all my programme install software on a different drive, ready to install on the C:\ drive at any time. All my data is stored on other disks on my pc and backups kept on discs. I use avg, malwarebytes, superantispyware, spybot & destroy and ccleaner on a daily basis because of the bother I'm having and none of them show anything up except maybe for the odd tracking cookie. I usually set a restore point when I have run these, thinking my pc is clear, but obviously this was a waste of time and resources. My pc is a self build, so probably the best thing to do would be to format the disk and reinstall from scratch even though it means updating drivers and reinstalling software etc and hope this solves the problems. Thank you both for your help. Much appreciated, as always. hedley

I use avg, malwarebytes, superantispyware, spybot & destroy and ccleaner on a daily basis


All good programs except I'd advise to stop using the CCleaner's registry cleaner (or any other reg. cleaner). Regular use of that utility might have been the original cause of your PC problems. Reg. cleaners don't speed up your PC and more often than not, do the exact opposite.

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI