This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Virus on my PC preventing opening programmes - Please HELP

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I tried accessing an image of an invoice on google and I now have something very weird going on. I am unable to open a browser or run any programmes. I have a message that is on my screen constantly. I will try to describe it: Microsoft Security Essentials Alert Red bar, triangle with exclamation mark. Potential Threat Details Microsoft detected potential threats etc etc. Detected items Alert level Recommendation Status Unknown Win32.Trojan Severe Remove Suspended Category: Trojan Recommendation: Remove immediately Items: (this shows a rotation of the following) c:\program files \common files \mcafee \systemcore \mcshield.exe \mfefire.exe \mfevtps.exe \microsoft shared \ink\tabtip32.exe I dont think this is a microsoft warning as I cant run anything. I tried to run HJT and did manage to save a copy of the scan before it closed down but I cant post it as I cant save it (on a different laptop now). Please please help! Steve
Hi steveinhants,

:welcome:

My name is Tomk. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:

  • I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

You are going to need to download a couple of programs on your good computer and put them on a USB drive. Then use the removable drive to transfer them to the infected computer.

Please download these two programs:
RKill - the name of the file will be iExplore.exe
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - the name of the file will be mbam-setup.exe

Transfer both of these files to the desktop of your infected computer.

Double click on the iExplore.exe icon on your desktop to run Rkill. This should stop the infection from stopping you from running the other program.
Do not reboot your computer after running RKill or the nefarious programs will restart!

  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If you are prompted to reboot your computer… Do Not Reboot.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
  • Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot (shut down your computer then restart it).
Hi, Yes, I did some research and I found I was infected with the Security Essentials trojan. I have completed the steps and it seems cured. Do you want to see any other logs to make sure?
Yes please.

Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.
    • DDS.scr
    • DDS.pif
  • Disable any script blocking protection (How to Disable your Security Programs)
  • Double click DDS icon to run the tool (may take up to 3 minutes to run)
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • After a few moments, attach.txt will open in a second window.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————
  • Post the contents of the DDS.txt report in your next reply
  • Attach the Attach.txt report to your post by scroling down to the Attachments area and then clicking Browse. Browse to where you saved the file, and click Open and the click UPLOAD.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI