Hello Whatthetech,
This is my first time ever using a forum, much less a computer fix forum. I was recommended to this particular site by my friend Seriocode, who has been a member for over a year.
My problem might be a simple problem, but a problem non the less. From one day to the next my computer started acting incredibly slow and I no longer have a DVD player. My system no longer recongnizes it. I thought that if I added more memory that would fix my problem, but no. I put in a total of 4 gigs of memory but for some reason my system only sees 2.99gb. Please, please can anyone help me with this problem or at the very least explain why this is happing?
Here is a HJKthis report:
HJT log rolled up as attachment -Tomk
Any help?? Thanx
Hello fabio,
Welcome to the WTT Forums.
First off, can you provide some more information about your machine?
Whats the model number and manufacturer, what Operating System is it running?
When did it start running slowly?
Other than adding more RAM, have you change any of the components recently?
Do you have an up-to-date Anti-Virus program installed?
As for the computer only recognising 2.99 GB of RAM, this is down to your particular OS. A 32-bit OS can only address up to around 3GB of RAM. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less, it depends on your specific computer.
The only way to rectify this is to install a 64-Bit Operating System, but this will cost you.
Cheers,
Nahumi
You may want to also consider of heading over to our Malware section also, seeing that you posted a Hijack log, I have a feeling you may think your infected, it would not hurt to find out, if they report you all clean then head back here and post back with the topic so NahumI could be aware of whats going on.
Fabio,
I suggest that you follow Jimo1's advice and post in the malware removal thread as there are some infections showing in your log. I'm not sure that their removal will rectify the problems you are having, but I'd suggest that you want them cleaned off anyway.
Nahumi,
my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite, OS is Windows XP, it started running slow a few months ago but I never took any action on it until now. The last thing I did was give it to a tech to fix it and she basically added more Ram and since I got it back for some strange reason my CD player doesn't read any CD's that I put in. So other than adding more Ram nothing else has been done to this laptop. As for the anti-virus I use CA which is offered by my internet provider but I don't know alot about it. I really don't know if I have a Virus but I do know that there are alot of programs running at the same time on my machine and I have no clue how to reduce them or delete the unuseful ones.
Head over to our Malware section, please see reason below.
Jimbo1
Fabio you may want to do this also, from the logs I looked over I saw somethings that did not look right, TomK is one of our Malware Specialist and he confirmed what I was seeing and suggested also that you head over, follow the link provided above to receive help. Once given the all clear then report back here if needed.
Tomk and Jimbo1,
here is the information you requested below. I used the Hijack this option and I copied the results so here they are, please let me know if there is anything else I need to do. Thanks again for your support and I apologize for the delayed response, I'm still trying to get used to this new forum fix support and hopefully you guys can help me resolve this issue.
📎FabioHJT.txt
HJT log upload as txt attachment. Not allowed in any forum excet malware - Rich
I responded and gave you some directions…. 3 days ago.
Fabio this post # 7 TomK asked you to follow his advice, please follow that link go over to the maware section so he can work with you, this is the tech support side. Post and follow his instruction in the link he provided above for you. Thanks.
Jimbo
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI