This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Microsoft Office 2010

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

The computer is a Dell desktop, Win 7 Home 64bit This is a new computer. What I have done for my wife is to copy her resume off the old retired computer that had Microsoft Office 2007 to the new computer. She needs to edit her resume to upgrade it, the problem is its locked ( little gold lock up at the top left ) and can not be edited. I have fooled with this for two days trying to unlock it. There has to be a way of unlocking the darn thing so she can freely edit it .
You don't mention if you have Office 2007 on the new machine. ???

Have you had a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313472

~ in use, owned by another user…. these files if they exist must be deleted.
________________________

Alternatively:


Is the old machine still functional?

If it is, you can open the document from that machine and have Office 2007 "Save as 97 - 03"

The document will then save as WifesResume.doc <– which should be openable.

May loose some formatting though.
Hi.

I've never seen the lock. But something did come to mind. You say this is a new computer. Are you sure that your copy of Office 2010 isn't a trial version that is expired? It lets you open files, but not change them. Maybe, make sure it is activated. Even if you bought Office with the machine you might have to enter the product key and activate it. You should've received that material with the computer.

I just did a quick search and found this along the same lines: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi…21114913AAy6h8p
Good Morning All, The version of Office is student, it came with the disk and I activated it so thats not the problem. Word, Excel and I believe Access are whats active, if I want to use publisher and the rest than I have to buy them. Now, when I open Word, chose a new resume template and create a new resume, I am still looking at the lock but it lets me edit it all I want, no restrictions
Therefore: Problem Solved? Not sure I'm understanding. It actually sounds like you are able to create a "new" template or document. But are you able to now open wife's resume and work with it? If not, try saving it again from old machine (save-as (a one-off new name such as) wifesresume2.doc) That document should be able to be opened in your new machine. Don't know about format changes though.
I will get you a screenshot in a bit. Doug, this appears to be just effecting the word resumes that I copied from the old computer to the new. They have that little lock on the top left and they cannot be edited. BUT, when creating a new resume document the little lock still appears but the document can be edited
For quite sometime, since yesterday I haven't been receiving timely e-mail notifications from the board. So, I just saw this. I know this seems silly, but what does it say if you mouse over the "document with a lock" icon, or click it?
Thanks Paws, I wont have access to that computer until this evening and will look into what you linked me to. Maybe I will post there directly.. appleoddity, not to worry about the replies, this isn't life threatening . When you click on that lock it just instructs you to press F1 for help. If you click on the review tab it has an option to unlock or unprotect that document , its hard to explain the options because there are many of them but I have tried them all including to stop protection and it still makes the document un editable I told my wife last night that I think the easiest way is for her to just create a new resume and then delete the old ones. By the way, when I transferred the resumes from the older computer it also included everything in the documents folder that included a couple of spreadsheets in Excel, and there fine, no lock and they can be edited.

Screenshot, look for the little lock top/left


My eyes must be really going bad, I could not see the lock. But I been using office from 97, 2000,2003, 07 and now using 2010, but when I went from 03 to 07, I have to download a MS compatibility pack from Microsoft in order to get my doc's, spreadsheets, power point files to open and to be used in the newer version. Not saying this may be the problem for you but you may want to take a look at this.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta…;displaylang=en

This is what I had to do, when I upgraded from 03 to 07.

Locked files may be cause by this:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-hel…A001140612.aspx

Here is something also that might be your problem or not.

http://www.404techsupport.com/2009/01/13/m…tion-is-locked/

Jimbo1

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI