Basically I'm tired of having to unplug and move my laptop every time i need to print something off, so I was wondering if there was a way which I can set it up so I can just print off my laptop and it will go into the network and do it that way. The printer is set up on the home computer (PC) in the office and my laptop is in my bedroom. I'm sure there is a way to do this, help please?
Next, open My Computer.
Under Network, find the Vista computer and click on it.
You should see the Vista shared printer there, double click on it.
That will install the driveer for it on the Windows 7 system and you should now be able to print to it whenever you want, as long as the Vista computer is on.
Thanks to Ztruker for the informative post.
While reading, I just wanted to point out one potential obstacle that is quite a pain. If one OS is 32-bit, and the other is 64-bit there may be significant issues to work around if possible at all.
If you're thinking about upgrading printers, get a network ready printer next time. Then any of the computers can print directly to the printer. And you will also be able to use scan, fax, or other features of the printer. Maybe your printer already has an ethernet port on it?
I have my trusty old HP LaserJet 6P connected to a Dell 4100 running Windows XP Pro, 32bit and have had not trouble getting Windows 7 Pro X64 to install the right printer driver for it. I can print with no problems.
Windows 7 has a huge driver database that is being updated constantly so there is a good chance a Win 7 compatible driver is available.
What is the make and model of the printer? (should have asked that up front).