This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

I cannot start up in Normal Mode

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Intermittently I cannot start up in normal normal mode and end up getting a non responsive black screen just before the curser should appear and right after the window 7 logo. but I can start up in safe mode. I have worked with the spybot Malware Removal Forum and they suggest that I post here because they feel that the machine is clean and that it could be a Windows problem. I have re installed Windows 7, no change Note the problem usually appears when I power on the machine, the first screen comes up "The dell logo F2 F12 Bios REV" I get a light dotted horizontal bars across my whole screen, other wise if the screen has a clear black back ground it will start up in normal mode. Dell XPS 1710 laptop 3 years old Windows 7 home premium Any suggestions would be greatly be appreciated Will
Hi treetop333, welcome to WhatTheTech.

Is this a new problem or has it been like this since you first upgraded to Win 7?
The Dell website indicates that Windows 7 is not supported on that laptop, only XP and Vista (X86 and X64).

I believe this is a driver issue but since there are no Win 7 drivers on the Dell website for your laptop, that makes it harder to find Win 7 versions.

Dell offers this: Looking for Windows 7 drivers? - definitely run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and see what it tells you.
Yes this is a new problem, I have been running W 7 for several months before the problem showed up, but in the mean time there were many W 7 updates, maybe there was a conflict with one of them. Since our last conversation I ran Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and It did find one item the needed to be addressed by Dell, which I did. I also updated the BIOS, and 2 chip sets. I have since rebooted 10 times with no issues. So it looks like the problem is resolved Thank you for your quick response and help Will
Good to hear the problem is gone. Would have been nice to know exactly what fixed it. I would lean toward the chip set updates but hey, a fix is a fix.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI