Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91910 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Online storage options?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MobileMania

MobileMania

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Knowing about advanced Technologies

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:11 PM

hi everyone! What online storage option do you utilize for your self? Is that safe enough to keep your secret data there?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hey MobileMania,

I used to use DropBox when I was uni to sync all my essays and lecture notes across all my PC's. You get 2GB for free, which at the time was good.

Since then, Microsoft has released Windows Mesh. This offers you unlimited file syncing between specific computers (which have to be online at the same time to sync) or up to 5GB on Windows SkyDrive. It seems like a better deal and it's built directly into the existing Windows Live framework.

As for keeping it safe, this article may help you understand some of the security behind cloud-based computing :
http://www.tomshardw...view-32082.html

My opinion on cloud-based backups is that it is safer from a direct and intentional hacker. Data centres will have spent a lot of money on firewalls and other forms of protection. This makes it more difficult for someone to get in. On the other hand, there will also be more people trying to gain unauthorised access due to the commercial nature of cloud-based backup solutions.

I think in most cases, you have to just acknowledge that NO data is 100% safe. You can make it harder for someone to get to it, but in the end, if someone wants it that bad, they will get it.

I hope that helps,
Nahumi
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:20 PM

I've been using Acronis Online Backup and it's garbage. Doesn't work more than half the time. I just updated from ATI Home 2010 to 2011 hoping to fix it and Online Backup does not work at all now. I'm going to request a refund.

I'll be moving to Carbonite in the near future as I've heard nothing but good about it.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#4 MobileMania

MobileMania

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Knowing about advanced Technologies

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:02 PM

Okay now i have plenty of options. Thanks for such a detailed review :)