This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

"Adware" infected laptop

20 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Thank you for the help again! I tried updating Avast! but nothing is happening (It's not downloading anything) Other than that,I have taken your advice,I do use a router and windows firewall is up,I just downloaded Spyware Blaster and Secunia. I am still worried about the recent Java popup though. I don't know what it's trying to make me run but it ends in -new -high. EDIT: After scanning with Secunia,it's saying that I have 5 programs out of date or End-Life Adobe Shockwave Player 10.x Microsoft Office Powerpoint Viewer 2003 Adobe Reader 8.x Avast! Anti-Virus 5.x Microsoft Windows Vista For the first 3,I was able to download their up-to-date versions. But for some reason,Secunia is picking up both the new AND the old versions,do I have to remove the old versions manually? Avast,like I said,isn't updating itself and it's telling me that I don't have Service Pack 2 installed…but I do.
Hi Somethingsimple, I didn't see Adobe Reader 8.x in the uninstall list. I saw the Adobe Reader 9.4.1 version which is very current. Uninstall Adobe Reader 8.x. Adobe Reader 9 will not be effected. Check in your add/remove programs and see if the older versions of the other 2 are present. If so uninstall them. I suggest you uninstall Avast and reinstall it. All your logs say you have Vista SP2 so don't worry about it, just make sure you have all the updates.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI