This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

fatal error? I think it's a scam

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi. I have avast anitvirus and ran a complete scan not 12 hours before I got a message from Microsoft that I had a virus…didn't get any message from Avast….. and immediately I got a pop up screen from HDDoctor…. and of course their scan couldn't be completed unless I decided to buy more protection. I think this is a scam or a part of a virus that AVast couldn't detect. I have both Zone Alarm and Avast running and uptodate, my adaware for some reason is not working and neither is my erunt program. I hesitate giving any pop up screen my information or my credit card information, is this truly an authorized site from Microsoft because it won't even let my computer turn on, it keeps saying I have a fatal error , shuts down my computer and automatically restarts it, and does that whole HDDoctor scan again, when I don't buy the program that will fix it, i just get another fatal error message and we start the shut down/restart all over again…… oh, this is my laptop we are talking about…a lenovo I bought in May of this year, now i can't access anything, internet explorer won't work, i can't get online. I am on my other regular computer with this question so don't know how to proceed if I can't even get online with the other computer. thanks the new lenovo i think has a different version of windows than this older computer i am using.
guys i shot this over to the spyware forum, i think i posted it in the wrong area here…doesn't belong here, it belongs over in spyware/virus area i think
Hi poemmuse, Sorry to hear of the problem with your computer. and welcome to the WTT forums. You have done the right thing in posting in the Virus and Spyware removal forum. You need to wait for a response from a malware removal expert there, who will give you individual instructions on the best way to proceed and check/clean your computer. Just a tip…for you, don't make a "follow up" post over there until you have received a response, as the malware removal experts look first for posts with Zero responses. You can post back here if you are still having issues with your computer once its been cleaned, and we'll do our best to help Regards paws
paws thank you sweetie, i knew i really shouldn't have answered this one, but i knew i made a typical stupid mistake like i always do when it comes to anything with a computer….. so yeah, it's sitting over there waiting, even though i want to add something, lol….. i so hate computers, they are so intimidating and you guys are such geniuses i don't know how you put up with us dumbdumb-dummies. you have a great day
Curious - you said the message came from Microsoft but you are using Avast and ZA. What Microsoft program gave you that message?

And speaking of scams, do NOT do anything until the malware removal folks give you a clean bill of health, but for future reference, see this and this.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI