This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

explorer not working correctly

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Run commands cannot be accidentally disabled by start-up choice and will work on all selections including
"Selective start-up".

The SFC command is supposed to run from the "run" box, but have you tried running it from cmd ?

I think your browser problem is causing your SFC command problem. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

If no luck there, go to this link as it refers to Explorer not starting up with windows: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-p…nce/1004970.htm

If you try any of the recommended registry fixes, back-up your registry first with ERUNT: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Make sure your UAC is temporally disabled before installing and using ERUNT.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis…-windows-vista/

Cheers,
Lee
yes I have tried running sfc from the cmd (yes right cliking and running as administrator for cmd) I do not have a browser problem at all it is explorer (no desktop) I have tried backing up the registry and using the registry fixes no luck still same. I also think is more than just sfc and explorer this seems to be bigger problem as I cannot create users, I cannot start some services, I cannot view service dependencies. My network icon show access denied even though i am connected and can browse internet with IE, Firefox, and google chrome. I cannot install updates service is not on can not turn on. The registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon does contain shell explorer.exe i even deleted at put it back still nothing.
After carefully reading through your thread on the other site and again here, you are having multiple serious issues that may or may not be connected to one single solution.

You might have a corrupted user profile, so this may be of some use but I won't be surprised if it isn't: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows…ed-user-profile

It is times like these that here, after making sure I have everything personal backed up, I would be doing an OS re-install as it is often the shortest way home.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Lee

PS Edit:
I'm not sure what you mean by "no desktop" ?
Without a desktop you have nothing except a blue screen (or black).
Perhaps this is a problem with the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service. All the services dependencies mentioned previously all relate to the RPC service.

The User Profile Service depends on RPC - without this you may not be able to create users, etc
Windows Update depends on RPC

As do Windows Installer and Windows Defender.

Start Remote Procedure Call


Goto Start -> Run
Type: services.msc

Start Remote Procedure Call (RPC), if already started right click and restart the service.

Then attempt to use a program, i.e. enable Windows Defender


If unable to start the RPC service:

Goto Start, Run
Type: compmgmt.msc

Go to Local Users and Groups -> Users
Open Administrator user properties
Make sure Account is disabled is not checked

Switch user to the Administrator and try again to start Remote Procedure Call
I am giving up with this I am going to back everything up and reinstall os I thank you for your help jsut to let you the last thing did not work either Again I want to thank you all for the suggestions and help
I am giving up with this I am going to back everything up and reinstall os I thank you for your help jsut to let you the last thing did not work either Again I want to thank you all for the suggestions and help
Having read these posts(and your logs where Ken has been advising you, I am pleased to see that you are going to reinstall, as I think this may be the best course of action for you. However your logs indicate that you have installed on your computer P2P filesharing….. There are legitimate uses for P2P File sharing, but a lot that I come across are used for the downloading of files,(especially music, videos, games etc) that breach both National and International rules on copyright. There is currently a major crackdown on folks who use File Sharing to break copyright rules and heavy penalties are being imposed……often it's the young folks who are tempted to do this, their parents often being unaware, but it might be as well to check that your machine is squeaky clean in this respect, just to be on the safe side. File sharing is a well known vector for the distribution of malicious code and large numbers of machines are infected by this route, Paths through the firewall are often opened and the combined effects of this can be devastating and sometimes a format and reinstall of the operating system is necessary……For these reasons I recommend that you uninstall all P2P file sharing or similar applications, bit torrent etc. and do not install them on any machine, at the same time any files downloaded via P2P where the provenance is not 100% are best deleted and the RecycleBin emptied. Any files in your "back ups"downloaded via P2P, where the provenance is not 100%, are best given the same treatment. I hope your format and reinstall goes well Regards paws
I am not sure what there is downloaded with the P2P software. I was already aware of it. As I said it is my cousins computer and he has for what I do not exactly know. I told him about it at first. I actually wanted to install from the beginning when he gave it to me but he wanted me to try fixing it first. I told him take of what he wants I and will restore OS along with other products that I own. after that I told him if he gets like this again he is on his own. I am slo giving him a clonzilla and ping back-up after reinstall so he can restore it himself if he ever need to. Again I thank you all for trying and I thank God he finally came to his senses. You all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

giving him a clonzilla and ping back-up after reinstall so he can restore it himself if he ever need to

Great idea
:thumbup:
If more folks did this then repair shops like mine would have to close through lack of business… :(
Have a good Christmas and a Happy and healthy New Year
Regards
paws

I am giving up with this I am going to back everything up and reinstall os I thank you for your help jsut to let you the last thing did not work either

Again I want to thank you all for the suggestions and help


Good move :clap:

And you have a great Xmas too :thumbup:
I have Os restored. I do have one more question apparently there are bad sectors on his hard drive I tried using ping and clonzilla to make image and it errors. I did a chkdsk and there are 4 bad sectors. Now the computer works but how do I make an image with bad sectors.
If you do a chkdsk with the r switch that should stand a chance of correcting it…. ie:
chkdsk /r
Note the f switch, is implicit when using the r switch.
If you are still getting chkdsk errors after running chkdsk /r then it time to consider taht the hard drive may be on its way out….You can download the drive manufactures testing utility and see if that helps.
If not then its a new har drive a fresh install of windows and all your applictions, get all your configurations set up as you want..email, Internet etc, then remove all junk files, defrag and then take an image when its all running fast and sweet. keep an extra copy of this first "perfect image" safe on removable media,(and preferably offsite) but do verify thats it's 100% perfect and reproducible……..
Incremental images from time to time can help keep things updated and with a fairly small file size
Good luck
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI