This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

explorer not working correctly

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok I have windows vista basic. I was just recently at safer-network thread link is here http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=60728 (three pages) I was getting help to remove viruses./spyware. I was referred here to see if we can resolve windows issues. Issue I am having is Explorer does not start with windows. I am able to start explorer by going to tak manager via Ctrl, Alt Del clicking show all process (does not if I do not show all process) file new task explorer. I also can not start service or see depended services. (Just found that one out) I get access denied there is only user on computer is administrator. I checked registry following location (HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows NT\ currentVersion\Winlogon does contain shell explorer.exe it is not in location HKLU\software\Microsoft\windows NT\ currentVersion\Winlogon I got suggesting to place there i verfiy right location was told cause I was used to were I said. After I got referred here. Also network icon hase red X but I am connected and can use internet. I also can not update cause I can start windows update service. UAC is running Windows firewall On Defender if can not start. Internet security setting ok. The explorer started having problem not after running combofix with safer-network but after my cousin was messing around with the computer is actually his but now he is restricted from it cause I was trying to get help and he started doing other stuff. Do not need to worry about him anymore. As of right now there is no virus software on computer. I was trying to install MSE which is what I use does not install. Spybot and malwarebytes are installed however they show nothing anymore. That is about all If you can provide any help I thank you. Oh combofix removed desktop.ini the other tech pointed that out. again if you want to review safe-network it is located here.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=60728

I thank for any assistant you can provide.
Hi Mr. Green,

Have you tried using the System File Checker?

"System File Checker is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files." [Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_File_Checker]

Run the System File Checker from the Command Prompt (Start menu, accessories) with: sfc /scannow

If it finds a problem, it will attempt to replace the problematic files from the DLL Cache (%WinDir%\System32\Dllcache\). If the file is not in the DLL Cache or the DLL Cache is corrupted, the user will be prompted to insert the Windows installation media or provide the network installation path.

For the actual autorun of explorer.exe you could try using a tool like Autoruns (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902) to see if it's disabled. In Autoruns goto options menu, and untick 'Hide Windows Entries', then look for the explorer entry and check the box if it isn't already.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT:

  • Download erunt.zip to your Desktop from here:
  • http://aumha.org/downloads/erunt.zip
  • Right-click erunt.zip, select Extract All… and follow the prompts to extract ERUNT to a new folder on your Desktop
  • Inside the new folder, double-click ERUNT.exe to start the program
  • OK all the prompts to back up your registry to the default location.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe


With the services you can reset them to their default states using a registry patch:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/Archive/registry.htm (Vista RTM)
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/Archive_SP1/registry.htm (SP1)
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/registry.htm (SP2)

Look in control panel, in System to check if you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit copy of Windows
Pick the version that matches your computer using only the Default Windows Services for Home Basic downloads.
You will need to restart the computer for the changes to be applied.

Hope some of this helps you!

Rich
I tried sfc /scannow it will not run even running cmd windows as administrator. I get error "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" I tried the registry patch also no success. I going thru the autoruns now. I let you know what I see. Also I am talking about explorer meaning no desktop I have to start explorer by using task manger under administrator to start explorer. The computer also is not running in safe mode although it might somthing simliar with network support now that i think of it. However it does not saying about it running in safe mode when I check. I also forgot to mention what my cousin did when this started at that is he started the UAC. I still have it running I am going to try to disable it see what happens but if it does work when disabled then something is wrong there. UAC should be running.
Ok disabling UAC once again actually allows explorer to start with computer. this means UAC is causing this do not understand that there. I tried running sfc /scannow same error.
Go to Start and type into the search bar cmd and right-click on the cmd.exe result to access the
Run as Administrator option. Provided you are using an administrator account, SFC should then work as expected.

Cheers,
Lee

I tried sfc /scannow it will not run even running cmd windows as administrator. I get error "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" I tried the registry patch also no success. I going thru the autoruns now. I let you know what I see. Also I am talking about explorer meaning no desktop I have to start explorer by using task manger under administrator to start explorer. The computer also is not running in safe mode although it might somthing simliar with network support now that i think of it. However it does not saying about it running in safe mode when I check. I also forgot to mention what my cousin did when this started at that is he started the UAC. I still have it running I am going to try to disable it see what happens but if it does work when disabled then something is wrong there. UAC should be running.



I did that I ran as administrator that is when I got that error. Besides when I ran it out of UAC and you hit windows key and run the window that comes says this will be started as administrator
I have been looking around for something for that error with sfc I found out the most common cuase is 2 services are disabled or not running windows installer and Windows Modules Installer. I check both they are on manual and out of all the services i cannot start these two I was able to. I tried running system file checker again still same error. I even went as far as getting into the system account using psexec cmd tried there and still no I cannot run system file checker I always get the same error. I also tried created another user and to my suprise I was unable to create a user even under system account. I do not error the window that would come to mange other users does not. I am at lost I have never seen anything like this.

Go to Start and type into the search bar cmd and right-click on the cmd.exe result to access the
Run as Administrator option. Provided you are using an administrator account, SFC should then work as expected.


I need a clarification here.

You say you are trying to run SFC as Administrator. Is that because your account says "Administrator"?

If so, that is not enough in Vista like it would be in XP. You need to enable the SFC "Run as Administrator" option as I described above.

Cheers,
Lee
You may want to check the settings in the System Configuration utility to ensure Windows Vista is starting normally. To do this: Goto Start -> Run (or Windows keyboard key + R) Type: msconfig Press Enter On the General tab of the utility check to see if Normal Startup is selected, if it is not, select it and press apply then ok. Restart the computer if prompted. Retry running SFC.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI