This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

counterfeit Software - Virus

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

First, let me start by saying that I am not an IT person, so I will try to describe my issue clearly. This morning my new computer (Ive owned for about a month) started showing in the bottom right corner that the Windows 7 software on my machine is not genuine. throughout the day, I have otten messages that the Windows 7 version is counterfiet and that i need to "validate" my copy. As I've searched the internet, the information I've come across has stated that this is a virus or some sort of Malware. I was directed to this site from another site "bleepingcomputer.com" of which I used the Associated Fake Mircorst Security Essentials Alert Trojan and AntisySafegurard Files procedures to try and clean the system, to no avail. i would really appreciate it if someone could help me…..thanks in advance to all….
Sounds like Melware to me as if the OS was really a fake, you would be getting a black screen plus the message. You would not be able to use it for anything.

What brand and model is this new computer?

Download and 'run' the Windows Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click 'continue', click the 'copy' button then 'paste' the report into a reply message in this thread.

Cheers,
Lee
Did you ever activate it? Try activating Windows 7 by phone.
  • Click Start, and in the Search box type: slui.exe 4 and press the ENTER key
  • Select your Country from the list.
  • Choose the Phone Activation option.
  • Stay on the phone and wait for a person to help you with activation.

Also, check the date and time.

Did you ever activate it? Try activating Windows 7 by phone.


Ztrucker, the PC must have been activated before the due date, otherwise the owner would not be getting the Desktop message "Windows 7 in not a genuine copy". There would be no Desktop to boot to.

The regular "You have (days) to activate" message pop-ups would be a bit hard to miss, but it does happen (I did it myself once with XP).
Past activation date disables normal use of the PC. Safe mode only in XP if I remember correctly and I'd be very surprised if W7 was any different (?)

Cheers,
Lee
Lee, by calling Microsoft, bzyarb2 should be able to get this fixed. They're pretty good about activation, genuine problems. I've found that the easiest way to do that is to use the Activate by Phone method. Worth a try at least.
Yep, worth a try for sure, but getting that message AND a Desktop to boot too, sure makes it sound like a Melware problem. My post was a query really, just in case there was something I didn't know about how W7 responds when activation is past it's use by date. I just assumed it would react the same as XP :unsure: Cheers, Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI