This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

USB & Boot up Problems

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a number of issues that have recently shown up. I thought that it was a Malware problem, but was assured that I was clean. http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=115729 Below are some of the symptoms that have been occurring:

1. I cannot access my USB card reader. Instead I get the following message: "The USB device can faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port. For a list of available ports click here." I do this, and it tells me I have no high speed ports. Also, when I try to access the card reader, I get an I/O error. There has never been a problem with accessing the drive.

2. The last couple of times I have tried to reboot the computer, I have got a black screen after the Windows splash screen. I tried to few times, and then the computer re-booted fine.

I have noticed that the computer has sometimes came to a grinding halt which is why I suspected a malaware issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
The last issue is telling you to immediately do a complete back-up of all valuable data to removable storage. You may have a HDD about to die trying. I'd be doing it sooner rather than later :thumbup: Cheers, Lee
You could also be having heat problems. Open the computer case and make sure all fans are turning. See if the inside looks dirty (dust, animal dander). If so, pick up a can of compressed air and use it to blow out all the junk from fans, CPU heat sink, etc.

Also check to see if there are any entries in Event Viewer: EVENT VIEWER - How to use, Windows Made Easy

Next, try this: USB DEVICES - How to delete all (resolves some USB problems), Windows Made Easy
I have followed the recommendations from the article for the USB, and it worked. It was some sort of controller issue. Thanks very much.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI