This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Please Help! I'm not sure what's going on!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I have Windows XP. I use Spyware Terminator for security. This morning when I turned my computer on and it booted up an update came up for Real Player. I allowed the update (I'm not sure that I should have now) but any way, my computer has been running a little slow that past couple days. After the update for Real Player, I did a Virus and Spyware scan as I usually do every morning when I turn my computer on. At the end of the scan it showed 100 some files infected….. There are 2 main things (Viruses, Spyware, Malware) the first is called Startpage-1111 and it says its a Trojan and there are a lot of files listed under that. The other one is Heuristics.Broken.Executable there is only one file under this and it says that its a part of a virus that the other parts may have been deleted or not detected. I ran Spybot search and destroy but nothing came up on that scan. I also ran the MalawareBytes but nothing came up under that, in fact here is a copy of the scan results - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46 www.malwarebytes.org Database version: 4787 Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13 11/20/2010 1:23:04 AM mbam-log-2010-11-20 (01-23-04).txt Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|G:\|) Objects scanned: 172635 Time elapsed: 25 minute(s), 13 second(s) Memory Processes Infected: 0 Memory Modules Infected: 0 Registry Keys Infected: 0 Registry Values Infected: 0 Registry Data Items Infected: 0 Folders Infected: 0 Files Infected: 0 Memory Processes Infected: (No malicious items detected) Memory Modules Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Keys Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Values Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Data Items Infected: (No malicious items detected) Folders Infected: (No malicious items detected) Files Infected: (No malicious items detected) I ran the Spyware Terminator Virus and Spyware scan again and I got the same results with the Virus/Trojan and that broken virus. I'm not sure whats going on, could you please help me? Thank you, Candi
Posted Image


DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision.

Doing so could make your pc inoperatible and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.


Vista and Windows 7 users:
1. These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them
2. With Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")


Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox browser

Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.


It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.


Next:


Please download GooredFix from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2
  • Ensure all Firefox windows are closed.
  • To run the tool, double-click it (XP), or right-click and select Run As Administrator (Vista).
  • When prompted to run the scan, click Yes.
  • It doesn't take long to run, once it is finished move onto the next step

Next:

Note: if the Cure option is not there, please select 'Skip'.

Please read carefully and follow these steps.
  • Please download TDSSKiller.zip
    • Extract it to your desktop
    • Double click TDSSKiller.exe
    • Press Start Scan
      • Only if Malicious objects are found then ensure Cure is selected
      • Then click Continue > Reboot now
    • Copy and paste the log in your next reply
      • A copy of the log will be saved automatically to the root directory, root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
    please post the contents of that log TDSSKiller and GooredFix log.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI