I'm working with a tech in the malware section of these forums. The problem is something is making my sound wow or scratch. It seems as if the hard drive is accessing more too.
Dell Inspiron E1405
WinXPSP3
Do you have a non-destructive HD/HD controller test?
Leslie
If you know the brand of Hard Drive you have installed in that Dell, go to the product manufacturer site (Seagate, WD, Toshiba, etc) to download their own HD Health or Diagnostic utility.
While a HD Test is unlikely to interfere with Malware Removal Work in progress, it is never wise to make other changes nor run extra scans without the knowledge and instruction of your Malware Removal specialist.
He gave me the all-clear.
For some reason this laptop is using the u$ default drivers. I believe I have a Seagate, so I will ask Dell to point me to the right one. Also there was a problem with the bluetooth drivers so I reinstalled them.
Run the free Belarc PC Audit.
It will give you a listing of all your hardware, plus your software, and licenses for various software.
Very handy to have a printed copy for each computer you own.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI