Hi lthsinc,
The file associations look ok now. I still haven't found a solution to your other problems, (unable to run chkdsk, inabilty to install SP3 and the odd time startup restart)
Would you rather continue this in our Tech forums? They have more knowledge and experience at this than I do.
Just a thought about SP3. Have you tried downloading it without allowing your antivirus program to scan the download?
Will check that out now, thanks. In the meantime, I was able to get that tool you gave me to run a diagnostic, and finally got this. (I've uploaded the pic of the screen) However, not sure it ran through it's paces normally, but it was the only time I was able to get any kind of report, otherwise always unable to run. Not sure if this helps at all, but here it is. Thanks, get back to you after downloading and scanning the update. Talk w/you soon.
What USB device? If you mean from running the NTBR tool, that was from CD. Tried the update in Safe Mode, but same thing, will try another method, let you know if it works.
Well, I'd tried downloading the update and installing in Safe Mode, thought I'd try downloading in Safe Mode w/networking and install, but still the same thing. (anti-virus was off both ways) I guess it just doesn't like the SP3 update.
The causeway error messages may be related to a ram issue. We can run a ram test and see what happens. A good time to run this overnight as it can take some time.
Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.
Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that.
Thanks, will work on that now, maybe I can run it overnight. Just to let you know, I also downloaded the SP3 update from IE in case that made a difference, and burned it to disk from the iso image, tried running both in safe mode, but still the same thing. We'll see what this next text says. Talk w/you soon.
Howdy, sorry for the delay, it's been a little crazy. I've only been able to run the Memory test twice, but so far no errors. I keep trying to find time to let it run three times straight, but haven't been able to. Will keep trying and update you as soon as I can. Thanks, talk w/you soon.
Hi lthsinc,
How did you make out with memtest? I haven't been able to find a single solution to the remaining issues including the inability to install SP3.
We may need to send you to another part of the forums. We have some very knowledgable Techs here.
Howdy,
Yes, I was able to let it run 5 times consecutively, without any errors. And now, sometimes it runs great, and other times so slowly I want to throw it out the window! So not sure what's up, all the protections are in place, etc., but here it is. Any ideas? Thanks as always.
Hi lthsinc,
Those intermittent ones are the hardest to trouble shoot. When the computer slows down do you see anything in taskmanager that shouldn't be they (a process that isn't normally present) or anything using high CPU?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI