Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Linux Puppy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord and Riding motorcycles and computers.

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:00 AM

ok i have i guess you call it linux puppy or puppylove. 5.1.1 Question? Once you boot into puppy, how do you get any prgrams to run, examples as: Memtest, atf, defrag, CCleaner or scanners for the fact to try and test a system out to make it run hard to check out the memory or hardware?

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

Hi jimmy, You just need to run the Linux applications not Windows ones ( for the time being that is) Did you download Puppy and burn it as an image using ImgBurn, ? and can you boot the damaged machine from it....? Do you need a step by step on the above ( your pm to me refers or have you done it all Ok?) The memtest doesn't need an OS to run...its independent of Windows or Linux and runs in its own little operating system..just run it from boot up and it should be OK Regards paws

Edited by paws, 25 October 2010 - 03:02 PM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

like paws said most of those programs you mention are programs that will only run using a windows operating system. you could probably run them under wine or in a virtual machine, but from what i understand, that's getting way more involved with a linux operating system than you need, and not the reason your using it. i believe paws advised you to use it for a general test of your hardware only, so if it's running and you can view it's desktop and get on the internet, etc, then it's a good bet there's nothing wrong with your hardware, and any problems your having are all related to your windows operating system. as for doing a mem test, if it's anything like the linux live cd's i've used before(never used puppy linux) when it first boots up there is a choice in the very first menu window, run puppy as a live cd, install puppy onto hard drive and a third choice of run a memory test(or something along those lines anyway). just choose option 3 to test your systems memory, let it complete at least one full loop of tests(usually takes a fair bit of time to complete all the tests in a loop) if you'd like to use it for more than just a general hardware test and need help with actually using it, instead of a windows operating system, then i'll download and run a copy, so i can see exactly what it is your seeing when you need help. linux is a great operating system, i use suse 11.2 at the moment, BUT it's not the same as a windows operating system, both have advantages and disadvantages, some of linux's advantages are no need to defrag, no need for virus/spyware scanners running in the background, some disadvantages are installing things can be a lot harder than windows 1 click way of doing things, problems getting hardware to work/if at all, windows games don't usually play. :popcorn: