Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

computer hangs while trying to access webpages

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stevie d

stevie d

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

Sometimes when I'm on the internet and go to open a webpage or click on a link my computer freezes for about 10-30 seconds and then will continue on. When this happens there is a white box that appears and replaces the firefox logo in the top left corner of the screen inside the title bar. When the page finally loads the white box goes away and the firefox logo reappears. DOes anyone know what this is and how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Jkc73

Jkc73

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Malware Removal, Tech Support

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:49 AM

Hello stevie d :wavey:

You appear to have a complex problem, I have been through all of you previous posts her at WhattheTech. :popcorn:

I am going to ask you to uninstall a program so that it doesn't interfere with another program that I am asking you to download.

The program I would like you to uninstall is SpywareGuard, In it's place we will be installing SpywareBlaster

First we need to back up your registry, please follow these instructions here

Instructions to Uninstall --> here

Install SpywareBlaster from here (Update and Enable All Protection, Set System Snapshot.)

Now please download WinPatrol (WinPatrol will run in the background and alert you of system changes, plus more. You can read more about it here)

Next, please follow these instructions below~

Please run this simple utility that will help you control the starting programs and processes.
CodeStuff-Starters

Please download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms.
Allow to install with all of the default settings

Allow CodeStuff-Starters to run, It will preselect

StartUps Tab -

• Click on File
  • Select - save as .Plain Text (name the report file - Startups currentdate.txt
In your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons -- at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window where you are typing your next reply)

Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.

To complete we just need some more information about how your system is performing at this time,

Please perform a simple test using Internet Explorer from here and post a link for the Team to review your test results. :thumbup:

Best Regards,
Jkc73 :)
~ Jkc73
--------------------

Posted Image
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
How to Prevent Malware: by ©miekiemoes
"I do most of my reading when writing".

Enjoy life, before it enjoys you!

Due to real life commitments, I may be unable to respond!

#3 stevie d

stevie d

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

Thank you for the reply. Here is some more info that I think you should know before we continue and I begin your instructions. The previous problems I had posted on here were from a different HD I believe and I started everything fresh and did not transfer anything from the old to the recent HD. I have had the recent HD for quite a while now and I am using XP Pro as well as Norton Internet Security. I just recently ran a bunch of scans through Norton such as disk optimization, deleting temp files, registry cleanup, and a diagnostic report. The diagnostic report said that I was low on RAM and that I have a problem in Device Manager with Direct Parallel in the network adapter section. For the device status it stated that "windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or....." Could either of these issues be causing the problem I am having (sorry, my question mark key doesn't work). I also attempted to do a chkdsk scan in windows and it would not allow me to do so. When I tried to it told me that "it could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed only by restoring windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur next time you restart the computer." When checked yes and then restarted my computer nothing happened. I tried it again and still nothing after the restart. I looked in the add\remove programs section and there isn't Spywareguard in there. Sorry for all the info but I just want to make sure you know everything before we proceed. Thank you so much for helping me and I hope to hear back from you very soon. Thanks Steve

#4 Jkc73

Jkc73

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

stevie d :wavey:

Please list the following in your next reply.

• add-ons that you have installed in Firefox(including Extensions, Themes & Plugins)
  • version of Firefox you are currently running
  • amount of RAM recognized by the system.
  • Click Start then Run... type msinfo32 into the open box and press ENTER
    Select System Summary and view in the right panel the "Total Physical Memory"

Next

To discover the type of Errors the machine has encountered recently, use Event Viewer.
  • Go to Start - Run, type eventvwr.msc, then Press Enter.
  • When the Event Viewer opens, there will be two panes.
    The left pane is for event categories (Application, Security, and System).
    The right pane is for event messages (Information, Warning, and Error). (We want to find errors.)
  • Left-click the Application category in the left pane and check for any error messages in the right pane, they will be in RED.
    You want to find the one(s) that occurred at the same time your system encountered the problem you have posted about.
  • Repeat the previous step for each category, or until you find an appropriate error to investigate.
  • Double-click the error message to bring up the information.
  • Click the third button on the right side of the information window (copies information)
Additional KB information from Microsoft:
Additional information to help interpret Error and Warning Event Types: http://www.eventid.net/

Please paste or attach this information in your reply.

Regards,
Jkc73 :thumbup:
~ Jkc73
--------------------

Posted Image

#5 MobileMania

MobileMania

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Knowing about advanced Technologies

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

well i guess jkc73 has said it all. :) and even i learnt a lot from his tips. so thanks

#6 stevie d

stevie d

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:51 AM

Firefox add-ons: (Extensions) 1. Google Toolbar for Firefox 7.1.20100830w 2. Java Console 6.0.16 3. Java Console 6.0.20 4. Java Quick Starter 1.0 5. Norton IPS 1.0 6. Norton Toolbar 3.7.2 (Themes) 1. Default 3.6.11 (Plugins) 1. Adobe Acrobat 9.3.2.163 2. DivX Player Netscape Plugin 6.1.0.0 3. DivX Web Player 2.0.3.4 4. Google Earth Plugin 1.0.0.1 5. Google Update 1.2.183.39 6. Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.200.2 7. Java™ Platform SE 6 U20 6.0.200.2 8. Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.4503 (DRM Netscape Network Object) 9. Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.4503 (DRM Store Netscape Plugin) 10. Mozilla Default Plug-in 1.0.0.15 11. Quick Time Plug-in 7.6.5 12. Shockwave Flash 10.1.85.3 13. Shockwave For Director 11.5.2.602 14. Silverlight Plug-In 4.0.50917.0 15. Windows Media Player Plug-In Dynamic Link Library 3.0.2.629 Version Of Firefox I'm Currently Using: 3.6.11 Amount Of Ram Recognized: 512.00MB Errors The Machine Has Encountered Recently: The problem I am having has been going on for quite some time and I really have no idea when it started. I have uploaded most of the error's that event viewer recognized, there were several of each. The event viewer only showed results starting from June of this year and I think the current problem started before this (maybe the computer only shows results for the recent past). Sorry for all the uploads of event viewer......I didn't know what could be possible important info. Thank you so much for your help....I really appreciate it. If there is anything else you need or want me to clarify just ask. Hope to hear from you soon.

Attached Files

#7 Jkc73

Jkc73

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:59 PM

Hello stevie d

To troubleshoot this,

• Please uninstall this add-on Java Console 6.0.16 <-this version not 6.0.20
  • If you have an install(system) disk, please insert it into the cd drive, click Start > Run... type sfc /scannow in the Open Box press Enter.
    (This will take some time and may stop to read from the system disk. After this process check to see how your system behaves. :popcorn:
    Report any occurrences that you notice.
    The next step is optional at this point, complete only if you feel comfortable.
  • Update your usb drivers, then video driver.(Remember to create a restore point)
  • Remove all external devices, except the mouse and keyboard before starting the computer.
  • Check the event viewer after booting to see which errors appear.
  • Please perform a PCPitstop test using Internet Explorer from here.
I have found a KB article here, that you should have a read of, it may be possible that you are infected.

Please attach Event Viewer Logs and post
a link to your PCPitstop test results in your next reply.

If you have any queries, just ask. :thumbup:

Regards,
Jkc73

Edited by Jkc73, 30 October 2010 - 06:45 PM.

~ Jkc73
--------------------

Posted Image