Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet help

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 pokey23

pokey23

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

I downloaded firefox, and still have connection issues. I guess it may be the router. I'll have to replace that some day. Thanks for all the help! Larry

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:00 PM

Have you tried WinSockXP Fix? If not, worth a try.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#18 pokey23

pokey23

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

Yes I have done winsock fix twice. Thanks larry

#19 -Redeye-

-Redeye-

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:PCs, Gaming etc

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:15 AM

Hey mate, Do you have any other computers using the same network? If so, are they experiencing the problem? Cheers, Redeye

#20 pokey23

pokey23

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:18 AM

I have a laptop on the network that is working just fine. which I'm thinking maybe a virus? Their is something going on with that winsock thing because I will run that winsockxp fix and my connection will work right for about 5 minutes then back to the on then off then on again routine. ideas??? Larry

#21 goose90proof

goose90proof

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:26 AM

Hello pokey23! I was experiencing a similar issue not long ago. Sometimes my Internet would work and sometimes it wouldn't. It always seemed like it was hanging up during domain name resolution. I tried flushing the cache and resetting the winsock (why does Windows need socks? ROFL). I changed my DNS provider to OpenDNS. NOTHING WORKED!!! I was getting so frustrated until one day I was talking about it with one of my buddies at work and he said that the router I was using was known to cause problems. I hand't thought about it but the router I was using was rented from my ISP (couldn't afford one at the time). This router was actually a modem/router (modem and router built together). Well apparently this caused a lot more interference than I thought it would. When you have a device like a router with it's antennae wrapped around another device that passes off thousands of bytes of data every minute then you are bound to have problems. Are you using a modem/router? If so, I'm willing to bet that the problem lies within your hardware.

#22 pokey23

pokey23

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:36 AM

Hello and thanks for responding to my problem. I am using a seperate router from my modem, however the router is sitting on top of the modem. would that act the same way? so far today I have been connected for about an hour and a half without any problems (knock wood) I'm lost with this stupid thing!!!! :angry: