Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Continuing Communications

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sLeven7

sLeven7

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

I'm new to Linux and Mint so please bare with me. I installed LM9 Gnome on a Core2 Duo with a cat5 cable connection to the net. I have noticed, while using the system monitor, that at times with no applications running there is still a 1k to 2k stream of info being sent and received. On a fresh boot the send/receive streams are next to nil, with an occasional spike which I assumed was the system checking for updates. This happens after I have used Firefox and have shut it down, also it does not happen every time I use Firefox, just most of the time. I have left it for long periods of times with no applications other than the system monitor running and the stream is still there. How can I find out what program is streaming and what is being sent?
Ask, and you shall receive.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

hi Sleven7,

Though I run a couple of "out of the box" Linux distros, I am not conversant with command line interface nor familiar with enough about Linux systems to be of any use to you or your question.

So I asked an associate from another Forum who is a more experienced Linux user.
He recommended a link where it appears that your same question is being discussed and a solution has been recommended.

Here's what my colleague linked for your further investigation:

here's a link to somebody with a similar question, sounds like these 2 things are the cause, fuse and avahi. :-

My guess it's the avahi service discovery daemon which searches automagically for open network shares and other resources (this is similar to Windows XP's behaviour).

Check for a package called avahi ... or something like that. Is there a difference of behaviour when you uninstall it? Also ... you could try these commands:

sudo lsof -n -i -P
	sudo netstat --inet -ln -p

Both commands should spit out a list of programs and what protocol and UDP or TCP port they are using. Maybe you could find the responsible program like this?

and

looks like disabling fuse did the trick

I'm not familiar with fuse, so have to see what you lose by disabling it.

http://forums.linuxm...?...684&p=30246

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 sLeven7

sLeven7

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

Thank you very much. Those two command lines helped me isolate the mystery. The program avahi was just sitting idle, the offender was cacaoweb. As soon as I kill that process the network stream dropped to nil. Thanks again for the help.
Ask, and you shall receive.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

You are welcome. Hopefully we will develop a larger Linux related membership to be of even more help to you and other Linux users. Please browse our Forums and Home Page as time allows for your exploration and learning. And please post back with your Linux related ideas and questions. Most often, as with this present topic, we may be able to help direct you to a resource that you can use as you work to resolve your issues. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.