Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Trouble opening xml files from memory stick?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JamieKing

JamieKing

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

Ok, I have a memory stick which has several old chat logs saved onto it. Most of them I can open no problem, but the oldest set of recieved files, for some reason, are not openable. When I try, I get this message in Internet Explorer: - The XML page cannot be displayed Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The system cannot locate the resource specified. Error processing resource 'file:///F:/Backup Stuff/My Received Files 0/jam... I dont know is this info is any use, but in the top bar of the internet explorer (As in for example, the one I have open at the moment had "What the Tech - > Posting New Topic - Mozilla Firefox") On the ones that work this bar reads "Message Log for - Windows Internet Explorer". However, in the ones that do not work, its simple got the file location up there. ("F:\Backup Stuff\My Received Files 0\" Ect Ect Ect.) I understand sometimes the files might not exist anymore, but they are still there as I can open them in word pad, but obviously, its got all the "/></To><Text Style="font-family:Cambria; font-weight:bold; color:#ff00ff; ">:/<" Ect Ect before every typed sentance and simply too confusing to read. If the file is still there, is there anything you guys can think of that could be the problem and any ways I could resolve it? Thanks muchly if so, if not, thanks for taking the time to read it.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:25 AM

What is the file extension of the actual file you are attempting to open? For instance, using Firefox, the file will appear something like index.php.html And For instance, Saving page using Internet Explorer will appear something like: filename.mht ___________________ When you "click" on the file from your memory stick, you can Right-click - open with (and then select Internet Explorer to open the file) Does that work for you?
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 JamieKing

JamieKing

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:16 AM

They are all saved with that kind of name, is thats what you meant, and when I open them that appears where a website would normally be typed? They all open with Internet Explorer as well acutomatically....When I open them in Firefox I can view it, but the entire documents one continuious line of chat history? Surely that proves they are still there, I just cant get my head around why I cant open them as a chat log in anything?

Edited by JamieKing, 02 October 2010 - 06:30 AM.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:28 AM

It's pretty clear that I am not familiar with the function that you are attempting. Sorry.

These folks appear to be having the same problem you describe.
And some solutions are suggested.

WTT does not vouch for those solutions, but I am providing the link as a possible source for your further research.
http://forums.asp.net/t/1004474.aspx
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 JamieKing

JamieKing

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:30 AM

Ok, thanks for your time mate!