This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Multiple "ENCOUNTERED PROBLEM" Errors

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Not sure if this is the right place to post this… I recently reformatted my hard drive to get rid of a rootkit I couldn't get rid of with my usual programs. Since then I've had a few different problems and I don't know why or how they're linked. In Firefox, I can't open a link from google search, I either need to open it in a different tab, or if that doesnt work, C+P the link to a different tab. Multiple "_________ has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." errors Programs I can remember off the top of my head are VSO convert Xto DVD every time i run it, and Skype crashes every time i turn my PC on but then works when i try to run it afterwards. I'm running Windows XP SP2 Intel Pentium D CPU 2.8GHz (2CPUs) 2048mb RAM Any other info needed will be provided. Thanks for any help I can get :)
Formatting and reinstalling the operating system requires more than the MS products. Did you install your machine's Drivers from the manufacturer's CD or Website? I don't see any reference to JAVA JRE 6 update 16 in your log. You'll also probably benefit from installing Adobe Shockwave Adoby FlashPlayer Updates to .Net Framework may be essential to running various applications you may or may not use. If you tend to view videos online or locally, you'll benefit from installing a competent Codec pack I've relied on K-lite mega Codec pack for a few years. You already put uTorrents back in place. While there are legitimate uses of P2P, they are also a risk vector for malware and file corruption. Keep us posted with your progress. Best Regards Edit: Update your graphics adapter driver
Thanks for the reply :) All the drivers were from the websites. I thought I had updated my gfx adapter, what is the best way to find out which driver is the best/where to get it? I have RADEON 8500 LE (128mb AGP) as my good card broke. I just downloaded the java update, this alone hasn't solved any of the crashes but i know it will be beneficial. I downloaded .net framework the other day, I don't know if you can tell if its up to date or not from the HJT log, can you? I view some videos in the browser, I view DLs and DVDs with VLC media player but have had no problems due to lack of codecs. P.S. left this out my OP, but a lot of the times, when I open FF it says it is already running, I have to end process in TM. HJT log after java
Remove Skype and Firefox from your StartUp folder.
Actually there are a number of Startups running that are unnecessary.
Consider downloading and running CodeStuff Starters

Please consider running this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active, or not.

CodeStuff-Starters
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Starter.html

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab -
  • Click on File
  • Select - save as .HTML (name the report file - Startups Sept07.html)

Include StartUps Set07.html in your next reply.

No I cannot see if you have the most recent update for .net Framework 3.5 update.
You can get it by manually going to MS Updates and allow the scan.
Hi 7clayton7

In my opinion…

The only items you "need" running from that startup list are:
avgnt "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
ThreatFire C:\Program Files\ThreatFire\TFTray.exe

All the others can and will be opened when you call them as specific applications

I'm not a user of ThreatFire, so I can't give you experience based recommendation.
If you are running ThreatFire as "real time" protection, then yes it needs to be in StartUp.
If you are using it as a periodic manual scan, then no, it doesn't need to be there.

__________________________________________________________________

ctfmon.exe - is a special case and cannot be disabled via MSCONFIG or CodeStuff Starters.

Ctfmon.exe is an MS utility to make possible the display of characters in the Thais, Mandarin and Japanese languages and other features of audible text for users with special needs. If you correspond or conduct business with Asian Language individuals or websites or have your machine configured for special needs Accessibility, you may be using these "special text services". If not, it is a resource hog and can safely be turned off.

GoTo - Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Languages(tab)
Press - Details(button)
From the next Panel (Text Services and Input languages) - Select - Advanced(tab)
Place a checkmark/tick in front of the System Configuration item: "Turn off advanced Text Services"
Press - Apply - OK - OK to back out and then close your Control Panel
_____________________

My search for your graphics driver resulted the same as what you link.
_______________________

As for your Firefox…

In Tools - Options - Tabs – Be sure to have a checkmark/tick for "Open new windows in a new tab"

In Tools - Options - Privacy – Be sure to have a checkmark/tick for Accept cookies from sites and Accept Third-Party cookies

Note: I don't "like" this setting for cookies, but have found difficulty browsing some known and trusted sites without it.
I keep a close eye on cookies (Show Cookies) and manually removed selected cookies on a periodic basis.
____________________

Are you using any Add-ons in Firefox.

You can consider opening Firefox in Firefox SAFE Mode (which will temporarily remove add-ons)
This will help you diagnose if perhaps an add-on is interfering with your browsing.
When Firefox is closed and then restarted Normally, any add-ons will be back actively.
____________________

So far I haven't noticed anything, nor given you recommendations that "alone" would be expected to solve the problems that you have described.

We'll continue consideration what other factors may be involved.

Please keep us posted with your progress.
Hi Doug, I changed the startups to just the AV and Threatfire and also disabled ctfmon like you said, the account does load a lot quicker than before, thanks :) I tried FF safe mode and still the google links do not work. They work in IE so it must be FF. The only addons I have are AdblockPlus, Java quick starter and Skype ext. I tried reinstalling VSO convertXtoDVD multiple times but it only worked once… Any other information you could need to try and sort this out for me? Also, the Windows Genuine advantage installer pops up every time i log in… this is a nuisance, I havent installed it yet but is it possible to get rid of that? Thanks a lot :)
Different from "add-ons"

Firefox "plug-ins"
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7
________________-

WGA is a persistent bugger, and you need it to pass so you can download important updates.

Bite the bullet… install and run it.

You will find… and it's more annoyance again … that periodically WGA will want to be installed again at various intervals and/or when you search/install updates for other MS products like Office updates and not just Windows updates.

I believe it is an anti-piracy effort on the part of MS.
I downloaded some more of those plugins, thanks.

curiously, in FF
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=…c7cdc1edf4ca7c6
clicking the top link works, as it stays in google to give this:
http://www.google.co.uk/movies?hl=en&n…e-link&cd=1

but none of the external links load, the load bar fills up green but the page doesn't redirect.

is there any way to reinstall FF without losing the plugins/addons/bookmarks/history, to see if that would help, or do you think this problem can not be resolved?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate the time you took :)
That link loads a YouTube vid for me… hmmm.

As to Saving stuff before uninstalling/re-installing FF…

Click on Bookmarks - Organize - All Bookmarks - then click on Export
__________________

I'm sorry.
I don't have a solution for your stated problem.

Firefox does not seem to have a native "repair" functionality, and suggestions to repair are simply to install the most recent version.

If you don't presently have firefox version 3.5.2, you may be in luck.
give it a try, your profile and bookmarks should be preserved.
_______________________

To save Firefox bookmarks
Click Bookmarks - Organize - All Bookmarks - Export HTML

Save the file to your desktop or somewhere else you will remember.

After uninstalling and installing new Firefox, you can then Import the HTML file

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI