Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't get AdAware to open

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleMelee

PurpleMelee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:41 PM

For a while AdAware worked fine -- slow, but fine -- but then it stopped working -- sometimes the AdAware logo box comes up, reading "loading" but nothing ever happens -- it just hangs there on the desktop until you reboot. More often, though, it just "fails to load." I have deinstalled and installed 3 times now, but it still doesn't work. I really want my AdAware back -- please help. Thank you.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:30 AM

Hello PurpleMelee,

It could be down to a browser update. What browser are you using?

Alternatively you could patch your Hosts file to block any ads:
http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm

Hope that helps,
Nahumi
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#3 PurpleMelee

PurpleMelee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:46 PM

"It could be down to a browser update. What browser are you using?"

INTERNET EXPLORER. How do I learn if it needs an update?

"Alternatively you could patch your Hosts file to block any ads:
[url="http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm""]http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm"[/url]

Sorry, I don't understand what your response means -- I am not having any problems with advertisements -- but perhaps that is not what you meant -- please explain.

Thanks.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

Not sure how you uninstalled AdAware , but it would be worthwhile using Revo Uninstaller (use the free one) to uninstall it, then reboot and try installing it again. Revo uses the normal uninstaller first, then searches for any left over registry entries and files on the hard drive. Often does a better job than just the normal uninstaller.

Try it, see if it helps. Be sure you restart after running Revo before reinstalling AdAware.

Post back with results.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 PurpleMelee

PurpleMelee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:45 AM

Hi -- thanks for your suggestion -- however, REVO didn't work. I deinstalled using REVO, then installed again, but the same thing happened -- the AdAware just hangs there, indicating that it's loading, but nothing ever happened -- it just hangs there same as before. Please advise. Thank you.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

Sorry, I have no idea what is causing this. You're best bet may be to post in one of the Lavasoft forums: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown