This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

issues

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am not sure where to post this so if it gets moved that's fine. -lol- Okay so I have an IBM thinkpad (unsure of year). It seemed to be working alright. Early this morning the screen got all fuzzy then black then it wouldnt log on at all. Now I try to log on, even in safe mode, it does the same thing. I tried taking out the ram and cleaning it off (gently of course). I have an older Dell laptop (that no longer works) and I had attempted to switch the rams. Still same issue. Any help on this please? Thank you. Tanya
Hi there trm820, "it seemed to be working alright". when was that, before or after you replaced the RAM? If after, put back the RAM you had in it before, as quite possibly the RAM from your old machine is a mis-match with your newer one. Cheers, Lee
Hello there. It happened before. My roommate told me to try using the ram from the other laptop to see if it would work. It did not and I have since placed them back into their proper machines.
The IBM Thinkpad was introduced in 1995 and the last of them was in 2005, so your's is at least 5yrs old and as you don't know what model you have (it should have something marked on it somewhere), possibly 15yrs. old! You should give it a good internal clean to remove all the dust build-up, which can really choke any PC or laptop down and cause very rapid heat related problems. This may or may not fix the problem. Probably not, but it's worth a try. I think you may have a dieing Thinkpad, but I may be wrong as I'm not a laptop man. Cheers, Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI