Hi everyone. I'm a noob here and was trying to find a way to monitor my work computers webcam from home. Is this possible to do without the person at my desk knowing the camera is active? Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the quick reply. I am the owner of a small used car lot. I have a total of five employees not including myself. Whenever I'm gone from the business, data is being deleted from my files. I only have one computer that is used by all but one employee, so securing it is out of the question. All need access to the computer for sales. How can I monitor it without everyone knowing so I can find who is responsible? Thanks
You are asking a law-enforcement/investigative question that is beyond the scope of a "tech help" forum.
Repeating: (again check the legalities first)
Just speculating….
1.
You could require each employee to log-in and log-off, each time they use the machine.
Each employee/user would have their own discrete username/password/account, yet still be able to access shared data-base. (five accounts plus your own)
Failing to log-off leaves that employee vulnerable to another using the machine under their credentials, so the practice would likely be followed.
Any data changes with time-stamp (last modified notation) during a particular employee's logged-in time, would be their responsibility.
2.
You may or may not have the legal right to use a "net-nanny" type utility.
3.
If you intend to use video surveillance…
Make it as obvious as possible.
Place the camera obviously.
Label the camera as active and monitoring.
Inform all employees of the monitoring.
Again, check the legalities.
Use a separate computer to handle the video monitoring.
You could give that monitoring computer access to the internet so that you can monitor remotely in real time or recorded, though not secretly.
4.
Otherwise, buy a local cop a cup of coffee and some doughnuts.
Chat them up about strategies.
_______________________________-
The above may not "catch" your culprit, but will likely "stop" them from further wrong-doing.
Plus the culprit is likely to "move on" if what they had been doing comes under suspicion.