This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Rogue Antivirus problem

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

Please do the following:

Run OTL.exe
  • Copy/paste the following text written inside of the code box into the Custom Scans/Fixes box located at the bottom of OTL

    :OTL
    IE - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings: "ProxyServer" = 127.0.0.1:5555
    [2010/08/22 18:13:29 | 003,820,698 | R— | M] () – D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Comb.exe
    [2010/08/22 18:08:02 | 003,820,698 | R— | M] () – D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\combo.com.exe
    [2010/08/22 18:03:22 | 003,820,698 | R— | M] () – D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Combo.exe
    
    :Commands
    [resethosts]
    [emptyflash]
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot when it is done
  • Then post the OTL log


Now download a fresh copy of ComboFix and try running it again

make certain your security programs are disabled

Link 1
All processes killed ========== OTL ========== HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\\ProxyServer| /E : value set successfully! D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Comb.exe moved successfully. D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\combo.com.exe moved successfully. D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Combo.exe moved successfully. ========== COMMANDS ========== D:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\Hosts moved successfully. HOSTS file reset successfully [EMPTYFLASH] User: Administrator ->Flash cache emptied: 1282 bytes User: All Users User: Default User User: LocalService User: NetworkService Total Flash Files Cleaned = 0.00 mb [EMPTYTEMP] User: Administrator ->Temp folder emptied: 275794181 bytes ->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 1470801 bytes ->Java cache emptied: 128130 bytes ->FireFox cache emptied: 40620327 bytes ->Flash cache emptied: 0 bytes User: All Users User: Default User ->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes ->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes User: LocalService ->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes ->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes User: NetworkService ->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes ->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes %systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes %systemroot% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes %systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 0 bytes %systemroot%\System32\dllcache .tmp files removed: 0 bytes %systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes Windows Temp folder emptied: 305731 bytes %systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes %systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes RecycleBin emptied: 0 bytes Total Files Cleaned = 304.00 mb OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.10.0 log created on 08232010_120430 Files\Folders moved on Reboot… Registry entries deleted on Reboot…
Running combofix now, still looking like a 'no dice' scenario… All background processes disabled along with antivir etc It's not hanging on 'attempting to create a new system restore point' then just a flashing cursor. MIGHT the problem be that I have TinyXP ? I had the real xp installed but I make music and a number of people told me that tiny was way lighter so I installed that. I think it has some fairly major features missing, perhaps this could be resulting in ComboFix making function calls that are not do-able by the os in its cut down state ? Whaddya think ? I can re-install XP Home from my disks but as I said already I'm really keen to just try and get this working as it is, would save me a lot of re-installs and headaches matching up audio files :-s
Yeah I think I may just re-install. Dunno, might be for the best do you think ? Anyhow, in the meantime is there ANYTHING you can think of that would enable me to get steam to the forefront ? It used to run on startup and appear in the taskbar, then it WAS running but only in the background, no icon. I stopped this with msconfig but then on opening it from the start menu it did the same, no icon but the task was running in the background. I have since removed the install and the registry entries for steam and reinstalled the whole thing. It does its 'updating' thing in a steam window then that disappears and AGAIN it's running in the background. When I launch games instead of launching steam, steam does the same thing (opens in background, unusable) Clicking 'switch to' just takes me to the steam icon in a folder. I've tried all this deleting the .blob file malarkey that people have been talking about aswell, but it hasn't made any difference (just seems to trigger the update which then proceeds to come up with the same inaccesible gui problem) Got some friends itching to play some games today and would really like to join them. Would be overjoyed if you could help me fix this issue, it's certainly an annoying one (nothing else seems affected anymore and scans are still showing zip)
when you google steam issues, there are many and a variety of issues that cause them

a lot of issues are caused by incompatibility issues with third party programs

i don't have a list of your installed programs.

Please run the following:

Please download DDS from either of these links

LINK 1
LINK 2

and save it to your desktop.
  • Disable any script blocking protection
  • Double click dds.pif to run the tool.
  • When done, two DDS.txt's will open.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————
Please include the contents of the following in your next reply:

DDS.txt
Attach.txt.


you may be at the point of reformatting with a proper OS, I can't imagine a miniXP will give you the performance you are looking for,
It's nothing to do with any software, not any that's MEANT to be on here anyways - it all worked perfectly before this 'hiccup' and I've not installed anything different since. Will run that program now and post the results :-)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI