This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Google Redirect plus new ad tabs

37 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

Infected Outlook Express
The ESET log indicates that there are infected emails in the XX Deleted Items and XX Sent Items folder in Outlook Express.

Please delete the emails in your Inbox folder - keep only the emails that are of extreme importance. After you finish deleting the emails, please right click on the Deleted Items folder and click Empty 'Deleted Items' Folder.

Having removed all your unwanted Emails completely it is now wise to Compact all your remaining Emails. Compacting makes the size of the folders smaller by compacting the files contained within them. All the Emails are still readable and still intact just smaller.

To do this click from the top toolbar File / Folder / Compact All Folders


NEXT:



Update FireFox
You are currently using an outdated version of Firefox. The latest version of Firefox is 3.6.8

You can get the latest version of Firefox by accessing the Help menu in Firefox and then selecting Check for Updates. Please make sure that you Check for Updates again after updating to the latest version to make sure that you have in fact received the latest version.
When I posted that ESET log that listed some of my email archive folders, I had a feeling you were going to mention that. So, I took care of most of that stuff and compacted my OE folders. The Firefox thing is a little trickier. I do some part-time work as an Internet Assessor analyzing web queries. The company I do this for requires me to use Firefox with certain add-ins. One of the add-ins that I need has not been updated yet for the most current version of Firefox. Is there a specific problem with the version that I have because it would be best if I don't have to upgrade at this time?
Hello, I thought I replied to this post, but I see now that it didn't go through. I usually always suggest that my users update their programs to the latest version, but in your case you need to use that particular version because of a specific add-on that you need to use. If the time arises where the add-on is updated to work with the latest version of FF then I suggest you update to it then. How are things running? Any outstanding issues, or are we ready to clean-up our tools?
Things are looking great! I haven't had a redirected searches since we got that master boot record fix to run yesterday and also haven't had any random new tabs with ads. So, it's looking good! I have Firefox check periodically for upgrades and it always tells me before the update whether any add-ons won't work. I will update it as soon as I can. I'm ready for whatever the next step is. And, after 2 weeks of frustration and trying every tool I could find, I'm thrilled to be "back to normal."
Hello,

Your logs appear to be clean, so if you have no further issues with your computer, then please proceed with the following housekeeping procedures outlined below.


Clean-Up Time

Time for some housekeeping
The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Click Start > Run and copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK: ComboFix /Uninstall



NEXT:



OTL Clean-Up

We Need to Clean Up our Mess
Our work on your machine has left considerable leftovers on your box. Let's clean those up real quick:
  • Reopen [external image: Posted Image] on your desktop.
  • Click on [external image: Posted Image]
  • You will be prompted to reboot your system. Please do so.
If you still have any tools or logs leftover on your computer you can go ahead and delete those off of your computer now.



NEXT:



All Clean Speech

===> Make sure you've re-enabled any Security Programs that we may have disabled during the malware removal process. <===

Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer against malware infections.
  • It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article
    Strong passwords: How to create and use them
    then consider a password keeper, to keep all your passwords safe.
  • Keep Windows updated by regularly checking their website at: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.
  • FileHippo Update Checker is an extremely helpful program that will tell you which of your programs need to be updated. Its important to keep programs up to date so that malware doesn't exploit any old security flaws.
  • SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX, it immunizes your PC against them.
  • SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts. Make sure you are only running one real-time anti-spyware protection program ( eg : TeaTimer, Windows Defender ) or there will be a conflict.
  • Make Internet Explorer more secure
    • Click Start > Run
    • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
    • Click on the Security tab
    • Click Reset all zones to default level
    • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
    • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
    • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • ATF Cleaner - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
  • WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
    • Green to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop
    WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE
  • Please consider using an alternate browser. Mozilla's Firefox browser is fantastic; it is much more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also has the best built-in pop up blocker (as an added benefit!) that I have ever seen. If you are interested, Firefox may be downloaded from Here
    • If you choose to use Firefox, I highly recommend this add-on to keep your PC even more secure.
      • NoScript - for blocking ads and other potential website attacks
  • Keep a backup of your important files - Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.
  • In light of your recent issue, I'm sure you'd like to avoid any future infections. Please take a look at these well written articles:
    Think Prevention.
    PC Safety and Security–What Do I Need?.
**Be very wary with any security software that is advertised in popups or in other ways. They are not only usually of no use, but often have malware in them.

Thank you for your patience, and performing all of the procedures requested.

Please respond one last time so we can consider the thread resolved and close it, thank-you.

Cheers,
SweetTech.
I do have 2 more questions before we sign-off. First, let me say how much I appreciate all your help and how quickly you replied to my posts. It made this whole thing go so much easier. I'm working my way though your "All Clean Speech" and will go over it more thoroughly when we're done. I use Revo Uninstaller for uninstalling software as I like way it searches for leftover pieces of the software in the registry and on the hard drive…plus it's freeware. I just went there to uninstall some of the tools that I tried using over the past 2 weeks. One of the nice things about this uninstaller is it's ability to list the installation date and sort by it. Well, I just opened it up and all of my software, all of it, now has today listed as the installation date. Did we do some step today that reset that date for all the software on my computer? The last question is basically how did I get this mbr virus? I've worked with computers for a long time and am very meticulous with having updated antivirus and anti-spyware programs running (I use Avast and Ad-Aware). Yet, still I got an mbr virus. How does that happen? And, how does a virus change the master boot record? (oops, sorry, that's a third question)
I'm not really sure why the installation date is now changed for the software on your computer. It's really hard to say how you got infected by it. There isn't one program out their that will catch everything. The best piece of advice I can give to you is to practice Safe Browsing.
Thanks for your help. I guess we can close this out now. Just as an FYI, I have 2 other uninstaller programs loaded that display installation date. MyUninstaller also has today's' date, but Cleanse Uninstaller has the correct dates!!! Blows my mind! The MyUninstaller also shows the installation time. All of them have today's' date with different times – well, one of 5 different times. There's a whole bunch at 1:36 PM, some at 1:40 PM, 2:17, 2:18, and 2:19. The last one listed is the ESET Online Scanner. Very weird, but not that big of a deal, I guess. Thanks again for all your help! You wee amazing!
I'm truly glad that I was able to be of assistance to you. Take Care and Stay safe and clean out their on the net. Cheers, SweetTech.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI