Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

how to check web use

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

Hi all, wonder if someone can help. I have 2 students staying for 2 weeks, 14 year olds, I have to email their parents to give a progress report although the school has contact with them via phone. 1 student gave me his parents email addy the other keeps avoiding it. Its no big deal really but I am for the challenge now. We give them use of the internet for 15 minutes each night and I am sure the `other` one emailed whether his parents or not I dont know. I went to the dbx files and strangly couldnt find any reference to email addresses other than my own (I had checked the sent and deleted files in the email folders as well) Aha ! I thought maybe they have used facebook or something similar. How can I check what has been used in the last say 48 hours, I am not bothered about content just where they have been as I am legally responsible for them til they get back on the plane on Monday. I dont want to restrict them unless they are on to dodgy stuff. And I dont want to use any form of key logger. thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

Hi, If the children are fairly smart computerwise ( as a lot of 14 year olds are) then the answer is for all practical purposes then you cant! Why not just ask them? if they won't be frank then don't give them access to your hardware (and this means locking it away) they will have to take a trip to the local library or Internet cafe. Sorry can't be of more help. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

I will when the come in as they are due in shortly from a school outing. I am probably just getting a bit paranoid having them in my care as one of the parents was going ballistic the other night because her student was 10 minutes late arriving back home and she nearly got all of them grounded, it is fun though. Thanks for your input paws

#4 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

Teanagers should never be left alone using a computer.
When you have children, Computers should be in a family area where others can see what the computer is being used for.

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#5 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

They were but it was my wife not me, anyhow I did ask them tonight and it was facebook so that explains why my checking up found nothing.

#6 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

:thumbup:

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom