Hi All,
I got a virus that AVG picked up and seems to have mostly removed. I ran MBAM and it picked up a few things, after a reboot and another quick scan everything seemed clear. The only problem I am still having is that I have an error saying turn on windows security center service and when I try to turn it on I get the error "The Windows Security Center service can't be started". I don't know where to go from here.
Thanks
My name is patndoris. I will be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. It will be very helpful if you follow these guidelines:
Malware logs are often lengthy and can take a lot of time to research and interpret. Please be patient while I review your logs.
Please note that there is no "Quick Fix" to modern malware infections and we may need to use several different approaches to get your system clean.
Please make sure to carefully read any instruction that I give you. If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
Please follow my instructions carefully and in the order they are posted. You may also find it helpful to print out the instructions you receive.
Please do not run any scans or install/uninstall any applications or delete anything without being directed to do so.
Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone. Please stick with me till you're given the "all clear".
Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file and submit it inside your post.
Please reply within 3 days. If I do not hear back from you in that time frame, I will post a reminder for you. Topics with no reply in 4 days are closed!
Please be advised I am still in training, and all of my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advice.
This may cause a delay in response time, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.
Since you indicated you had some malware which has recently been removed, I'd like to have a look at some logs to be sure there is nothing else that needs to be addressed.
Download and Run OTL
Download OTL to your desktop.
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt.
Note:These logs can be located in the OTL. folder on you C:\ drive if they fail to open automatically.
Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply. You may need two posts to fit them both in.
If you have CDEmulation drivers installed (such as Daemon Tools, Alcohol120) please follow the instructions below to run DeFogger prior to and after running GMER. If you do not have any CDEmulation drivers installed, you do not need to run DeFogger and you can go right to the instructions to run GMER.
Download DeFogger
Please download DeFogger to your desktop.
Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
The application window will appear
Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers
Click Yes to continue
A 'Finished!' message will appear
Click OK
DeFogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OK
IMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_disable which will appear on your desktop.
Do not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.
Download and Run GMER
[external image: Posted Image]
Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here or here.
Extract the contents of the zipped file to desktop.
Double click GMER.exe. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO.
[external image: Posted Image] Click the image to enlarge it
In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
IAT/EAT
Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
Show All (don't miss this one)
Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and attach it in your reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries