This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Duel OS's snapshots to new HD

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have made 2 snapshots (1 of each) of XP and W7 from my current single HD to separate DVD's. and have backed up all my personal Data to DVD's including Email etc. etc.. On this drive (about to go by-byes soon), XP is currently C: and W7 is D: I'll first format the new HD with UBD/CD and normally from there it is a straight forward operation with the help of BartPE. BUT and here is the tricky bit for me that I'm unsure off. I want to do a switcher U with the Drive letters on the new HD. No real need naturally, but I'd just like to do it! I'd normally install XP first and then W7 as it's a bit easier than visa-vis and that is obviously what I did with my present duel OS setup. This time around I'm not sure of the best approach :unsure: Any advice would be most appreciated. Cheers, Lee
If you switch letters for the OS you're basically dead. There are too many places in the registry where the boot drive is stored for this to work correctly. You could swap them then do a Repair Install for each one, that might work.
Thank Ztruker, Figuring it through I'd come to the same conclusions, but I thought I might be missing an easy-peasy one of you Advanced Techs might know about.. I can't be bothered doing a repair install on both my OS's, as also on my plate is cloning Zoe's OS to her new PC build I've just finished (P3 to gaming rig, won't know what hit her Lol) and. there is a repair install involved there.. I've leave my OS's well alone then I think. There only letters! :popcorn: Cheers, Lee
I know there have been attempts to write programs to go in and edit the registry offline, after doing what you want, to clean it up so all the old letters are converted to the new one, but it never was s success. Too bad as it would be nice to be able to do it. MS should do away with the concept of a drive letter and use a volume name or something like that .. oh wait, that's Linux … never mind :lol:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI