This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Black Internet File Infection? Trojan Spambot?

21 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, P2P uninstalled. Java is now updated; cache is cleared too. DVD drives don't work at all. I can press the button to open and put a disc in, but nothing happens. Yes, there are warning signs on the Device Manager. There are two drives. This is the status: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device. Not sure if this does anything, but I also saw a warning under Other Devices, for RAID Controller: The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the drives, but it said a problem occurred during installation. As for RAID controller, I tried reinstalling that and it said it couldn't find necessary software for it. Maybe I don't actually have this driver anymore. There is a location listed for it though: PCI bus 2, device 4, function 0
I'm sorry, but we are getting into territory beyond my expertise here, that's why we have a tech forum with expert tech who I'm sure will be able to resolve this issue for you.

We need to clean up our tools and then I suggest posting a new topic in our hardware forum, link back to this topic so the tech's can see what we have done already.

Please do the following:

You can delete the MBRCheck, DDS and GMER logs and programs from your desktop.


NEXT


Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix

  • Make sure your security programs are totally disabled.
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now copy/paste Combofix /uninstall into the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the ..X and the /U, it needs to be there.

[external image: Posted Image]


If there are any logs/tools remaining > right click and delete them.


NEXT


Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer against malware infections.

  • It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article
    Strong passwords: How to create and use them
    Then consider a password keeper, to keep all your passwords safe.

  • Keep Windows updated by regularly checking their website at :
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.

  • Make Internet Explorer more secure
    • Click Start > Run
    • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
    • Click on the Security tab
    • Click Reset all zones to default level
    • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
    • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
    • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

  • Download TFC to your desktop
    • Close any open windows.
    • Double click the TFC icon to run the program
    • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
    • Click the Start button to begin the process.
    • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
    • The program should not take long to finish it's job
    • Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine,
    • if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean
    It's normal after running TFC cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.

  • WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
    • Green to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop
    WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE

  • Keep a backup of your important files - Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.

  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.

  • In light of your recent issue, I'm sure you'd like to avoid any future infections. Please take a look at these well written articles:
    Think Prevention.
    PC Safety and Security–What Do I Need?.


**Be very wary with any security software that is advertised in popups or in other ways. They are not only usually of no use, but often have malware in them.
Hi, just an update here. I've deleted the logs and uninstalled Combofix. The password keeper is a good idea. I'll have to keep that in mind. That's about all I have time to do and look at today. I'll do the rest some time this week. Also, I have Internet Explorer 6. Should I be updating that version?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI