Lee
Topic Starter
Oh boy, my 2nd HD that had XP on it gave up the ghost!
It was an old drive. My new Drive has W7 on it which I installed after XP. A straight forward operation. What I want to do now is to put XP onto a partition as I need it for my printer and some older games that won't work on W7.
Putting XP on a drive or partition after W7 is not so easy and I've already stuffed up my first try at it. When XP is on the drive first, W7 recognizes it and sorts out the MBR and the boot up choice that goes straight to either OS.
Not so the other way around when XP is installed 2nd. XP does not recognize the newer W7 OS. Result was ability to boot to XP but not to W7, which I expected, but I had EasyBCD and read the boot problem was easy to sort out with that software. I messed it up somehow but did manage to boot to W7 but could no longer boot to XP. I'd turned things around! A lot more messing around with EasyBCD failed to fix the problem but just made things worse (won't bore you with the details).
I have the new drive: partitioned:
A: floppy
C: W7 and installed programs
D: Personal data
E: Formatted and ready for XP
F: ROM drive
Luckily, what I did do before I installed XP on the formatted F partition was to do an image snapshot of it and my MBR and stored it on my D: partition. I just ended up restoring the D: to be an empty partition again which removed XP and re-established my MBR to it's original state.
I'm ready to try again now but want to get it right this time.
Can anyone point me to a link on how to do the correct XP install procedure for XP after W7, as the one I read led me up the garden path I think.
Thanks.