Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Should I Just Re-install Windows Xp?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mjm3939

mjm3939

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 03:43 PM

Would re-installing windows be a more effective way to cure adware problems?Or is there no guarantee that this would work and prevent from happening again?I use spybot and lavasoft adware and run them often. My problem is my homepage is altered to res://nxmju.dll/index.html and is sooo annoying. Any advice as to how to prevent or fix this would be great. Thanks Marc

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 wawadave

wawadave

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 05:36 PM

hello your best bet is to cure you currant spyware infestation. so you will know how in future . you have already tried d/ling spybot search and destroy,updated it,ran it?? d/led ad-ware and done the same? d/l spywareblaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place. update it allso. with the above having been done. and spyware still persistent,d.l hijack this and post a log in proper forum. i,m not a qualified hijack this reader. so i won,t be helping you with that part i allso do not recommend reinstalation till all else possible has been done! jmho

#3 Guest_ranchhand_*

Guest_ranchhand_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2004 - 09:14 PM

Merely reinstalling windows will not prevent new hijackings/virus infestations at all. The only realistic method if you want to go that way is to set up your operating system exactly the way you like it, install all the programs you always use, and use Norton Ghost (or any imaging software you choose) to create an image of your setup. Then you can just reimage your harddrive whenever you get a problem, takes only a few minutes. We do this daily where I work. The downside to that is that you will lose any additional programs that you add after you initially save your image (unless you constantly reimage) and regular backups of data are imperative, because reimaging will wipe them. So, all things considered, it's probably better to setup your OS to protect from infestations.

#4 Guest_SalukiFan_*

Guest_SalukiFan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:40 AM

You may want to read So how did I get infected in the first place?