This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

"Safely remove Hardware" icon

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

[attachment removed] Click on image to enlarge. Why is this program (icon 3rd. from left in system tray) asking me to delete one of my hard drives and my DVD drive? I know I can just hide the icon but it has me worried as to why it wants to delete my XP OS system HD and my DVD drive.
This problem is "beyond my scope of knowledge", but I may have a clue that you could check.

Go have a look in your Windows Explorer
Right-click on your C:\ – then Select - Properties
Next - Select the Hardware(tab)
You should now be looking at a list of the physical drives installed on your machine.
Click to Highlight - ST350611AS <– (this may not be exact serial number, because I can't read from your screen shot well enough with my old eyes)
Next - Click - Properties(button)
Next - Click - Policies(tab)

On that Policies tabbed panel you can select:
–Optimize for quick removal
–Optimize for performance
—-Enable write caching on the disk

Most users should have "Enable write caching on the disk" selected for their physical Hard Drives
____________________

as to your optical drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 - (E:) — I'm still researching and have no clue at this time
Yes, it's all a bit of a mystery Dough. "Enable write caching on the disk" was already enabled, so no joy there. However, I recently flashed to a new updated bios on my MSI motherboard and since then, Driver Detective has been nagging me to upgrade my NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller (NVIDIA SMBus Driver, NVIDIA SMU Driver, NVIDIA Away Mode Driver, NVIDIA Ethernet Driver and NVIDIA Storage Driver). I have just finished the new driver install and guess what? The "safely remove hardware' icon has completely disappeared, nowhere to be found! I'll put that experience into my 'great big xp mystery' box and leave it at that. Thanks again for your help.

Driver Detective has been nagging me to upgrade my NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller

I guess it figured if you won't update it, how about deleting it :rofl:

Driver Detective has been nagging me to upgrade my NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller

I guess it figured if you won't update it, how about deleting it :rofl:


"Upgrade those drivers or delete the drive"! :woot:

Driver Detective has been nagging me to upgrade my NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller

I guess it figured if you won't update it, how about deleting it :rofl:


"Upgrade those drivers or delete the drive"! :woot:

The drive of course.
It's not like it was back in the old days when "you" told the computer what "you" wanted it to do.

The computer was telling "you" if "you" won't update the drivers, then "I" want you to delete it so "I" don't have to keep telling "you" to update the drivers.
I'm not sure how far back the 'old days' were LTD, but I did experience the joys of 98se for a little while. Arhhh …for the good old days eh?
I really liked 98se myself. IMO, still one of the best MS OS.

Anyway, this topic will help someone else if they ever have the same issues.

However, I recently flashed to a new updated bios on my MSI motherboard and since then, Driver Detective has been nagging me to upgrade my NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller (NVIDIA SMBus Driver, NVIDIA SMU Driver, NVIDIA Away Mode Driver, NVIDIA Ethernet Driver and NVIDIA Storage Driver).

I have just finished the new driver install and guess what? The "safely remove hardware' icon has completely disappeared, nowhere to be found!

That was a new one on me.
Glad you got it solved.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI