Attached you will find the DDS file. I do not want to use a program that has been stolen from another, so I deleted my iobit program.
My computer is running better. However I still have the problem that after I've been using it for a while I can't open other programs, for instance. I've been to school site and used excel, then SPSS (a statistics program) and then I need to open a word file. It has performed admirably during the process, then I go get a drink and pass the time with my husband and come back to the computer to work on my word document some more (a research project). It then won't let me open Word from start and programs, as a matter of fact it will open start, but then won't highlight any of the things off of start, I then try and go to my documents and open the document I want that way, sometimes it will work, other times it tells me there is not enough memory, even though I am only running the programs that always run in the background (i.e. my printer, AVG, Lunabar, and my internet connection).
Other than this though, my computer is WAYYYYYYY better! Thanks for that!
Thanks again!
Lynn
Wow, Hijack this did the scan like super fast! I'll attach the log. I talked to a guy about my RAM in my daughter's store (she works at Office Depot). He said he could look in my computer and see if my RAM is upgradable and this should take care of my "not enough memory to open" problem.
Thank you so much for all your help, my computer is running so much better! )
I talked to a guy about my RAM in my daughter's store
Additional RAM will almost certainly help.
If you require additional advice/support for your RAM issues, please feel free to start a thread in our Hardware Forum. Our Tech Experts will give you excellent advice.
The first HiJackThis log you posted indicated that you had (unintentionally) downloaded several malicious ActiveX applications onto your system. To protect against bad ActiveX applications I suggest you download and install SpywareBlaster (Link provided below).
Please work your way throgh the following steps:
Please RUN HijackThis
Click the "Do a System Scan Only" button to produce a log.
Place a check mark beside each one of the following items (if they are present):
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0002-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_02) -
Now with all the items selected, and all windows closed except for HJT, delete the selected items by clicking the FIX checked button. Close the HijackThis window.
Please download and run the Norton Removal Tool
The Norton removal tool will locate and remove all traces of Norton products from your computer.
To download the tool, click here.
Read throught the information on the page, and then select the Norton product that you have (this is the one that will be removed).
Follow the instructions to obtain the removal tool and to complete the removal process.
Please Uninstall Combofix
Click on "Start" and then on "Run".
Now type combofix /uninstall in the run box and click "OK". Please note the space between the "x" and the "/Uninstall", it needs to be there.
Removal of Tools
You no longer need DDS, GMER, Security Check or the Norton Removal Tool. Please delete them from your machine (You can keep ATF Cleaner and MBAM).
Once you have completed the above steps you should be good to go! If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.
Finally, please take the time to read through the information provided below:
Enhance your System Security
For an excellent list of free anti virus software, free online virus scanners, free spyware detection/removal and free firewalls, click here.
IMPORTANT! Please make sure you only have ONE firewall and ONE real-time antivirus installed on your system. When using "on demand" scanners, first update the detection signature files, then disconnect from the internet and disable your resident security program before running the scan.
Once complete, remember to re-engage your resident security before going online.
Web Browsers and Browser Security
Firefox
Firefox is generally considered to have greater browsing security in comparison to other popular programs. You can download Firefox 3.0 from here.
No-Script
If you use Firefox as your default browser, No-Script can provide additional security by preventing malicious scripts from being executed on your system.
The newest version of Internet Explorer is available from here.
SpywareBlaster
If you use Internet Explorer as your default browser, SpywareBlaster would be a valuable addition to your online security.
SpywareBlaster prevents malicious ActiveX objects from being downloaded onto your system.
You can download SpywareBlaster by clicking here.
Web of Trust
When using search engines, Web of Trust provides you with an easy way of telling the good sites from the bad and is compatible with both Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Coloured symbols are displayed next to search results, giving you more confidence in the links you choose to click on: Green (To go), Yellow (Caution) and Red (Stop).
You can download Web of Trust by clicking here.
Keep your Software Updated
Outdated software can sometimes have vulnerabilities that are exploitable by malware.
Check if there are available updates for your installed software with Secunia's Online Software Inspector by clicking here.
Passwords
Learn how to create strong passwords by clicking here and test the strength of the passwords you already use by clicking here.
Would you like to learn how to fight back against malware and help others? Enroll at the What The Tech (Formerly Tom Coyotes) Malware Classroom by clicking here.
Thanks for all your time and help! My computer is running great and I had the RAM added today, now I have 2.5G of RAM. So things are really going well. I have applied and used the programs, or uninstalled depending, everything you recommended. Thanks again!
Since this problem appears to be resolved this topic is now closed.
If you are the topic starter and need this topic reopened, please PM a staff member (include the address of this thread in your request).
Everyone else please start a new topic.
Best wishes
JonTom
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI