franko
Topic Starter
Hi. On 6/19/2010 I ran and Avira AntiVir scan (I updated the virus definition the night before) and it gave the following report:
The file 'C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0AB5023C-B9FC-4058-B687-9CC9BB5AFF8B}\RP1169\A0071885.exe'
contained a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Agent.2560' [trojan]
Action(s) taken:
The file was moved to '4c4cd639.qua'!
The file 'C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0AB5023C-B9FC-4058-B687-9CC9BB5AFF8B}\RP1170\A0071972.exe'
contained a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Agent.2560' [trojan]
Action(s) taken:
The file was moved to '4c4cd63a.qua'!
I couldn't find anything on this particular trojan via Google.
Since the quarantined files were just restore points I felt it was OK to delete them, and did so.
I ran ATF Cleaner, CCleaner, and TFC.exe (which required a system reboot) to clean everything up.
After reboot, I ran another Avira scan and it found noting. I updated Malwarebyte's Antimalware and SuperAntiSpyware, ran both of their quickscans, and found nothing.
This morning (6/21/10) I ran a GMER scan and nothing was highlighted.
I also ran the BitDefender Online Virus Scan and it found nothing.
I used Add/Remove Programs to remove HijackThis 2.0.2 (it instructed me to remove the HijackThis.exe file manually - I found there was an old Hijackthis.exe vers.1.x which I also deleted). An alert popped up saying Verify Class ID encountered a problem and had to close, followed by a dwwin.exe - Application Error message (The instruction at "0x77df0717" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not "read". Click on OK to terminate the program).
I downloaded and installed Hijackthis.msi to get the latest 2.0.4 vers. After it installed I saw another of the Verify Class ID alerts.
I don't notice anything very odd with the laptop other than the alerts I've mentioned (it's old - 256 mb ram - tends to run pretty slow, but fine enough for web surfing). The one thing is that, when clicking Start –>All Programs the blue cursor sometimes is not carrying over to the next menu (Accessories, Games, etc.) I have to click on the desktop to close the menu and then reopen it, in which case it then seems to work.
Another thing I noticed after the Avira scan was that only 28 items were appearing in Task List Manager - usually it's 29 when no browser, email program, etc. is open. I noticed the missing .item was cmdagent.exe, which is part of Comodo - cfp.exe, the firewall, was still there. I had a tricky time updating Comodo Firewall a few weeks ago (it decided it was incompatible with my Antivirus program) but seemed to finally get installed OK. cmdagent.exe reappeared after the system reboot.
Anyway, sorry to drone on. I wanted to make sure the malware was real, and not a false positive, and, if it is real, that it's all gone. Thanks in advance.
Here's the HJT report - the 08 item seems to be a hanger-on - I removed Google Toolbar a few weeks ago. The two 022 items are not anything I'd ever seen with HJT 2.0.2. The 023 item for ASP.NET is also a hanger-on - I believe I removed that program quite a while ago.
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 11:49:08 AM, on 6/21/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HiJackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ikariam.org/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DadApp] "C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\nwiz.exe" /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] "C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Internet Security] "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe" -h
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki… - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_2EC7709873947E87.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O16 - DPF: {01A88BB1-1174-41EC-ACCB-963509EAE56B} (SysProWmi Class) - http://support.dell.com/systemprofiler/SysPro.CAB
O16 - DPF: {076169AA-8C3D-4CFC-AC23-3ACA88FC21B5} (F-Secure Online Scanner Launcher) - http://download.sp.f-secure.com/ols/f-secu…/fslauncher.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {56762DEC-6B0D-4AB4-A8AD-989993B5D08B} - http://www.eset.eu/buxus/docs/OnlineScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/…can8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1263481292217
O16 - DPF: {7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5} (OnlineScanner Control) - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {BDBDE413-7B1C-4C68-A8FF-C5B2B4090876} (F-Secure Online Scanner 3.3) - http://support.f-secure.com/ols/fscax.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://games.pogo.com/online2/pogo/bejewel…aploader_v6.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard32.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: ASP.NET State Service (aspnet_state) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_state.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: COMODO Internet Security Helper Service (cmdAgent) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
–
End of file - 5336 bytes
The file 'C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0AB5023C-B9FC-4058-B687-9CC9BB5AFF8B}\RP1169\A0071885.exe'
contained a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Agent.2560' [trojan]
Action(s) taken:
The file was moved to '4c4cd639.qua'!
The file 'C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0AB5023C-B9FC-4058-B687-9CC9BB5AFF8B}\RP1170\A0071972.exe'
contained a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Agent.2560' [trojan]
Action(s) taken:
The file was moved to '4c4cd63a.qua'!
I couldn't find anything on this particular trojan via Google.
Since the quarantined files were just restore points I felt it was OK to delete them, and did so.
I ran ATF Cleaner, CCleaner, and TFC.exe (which required a system reboot) to clean everything up.
After reboot, I ran another Avira scan and it found noting. I updated Malwarebyte's Antimalware and SuperAntiSpyware, ran both of their quickscans, and found nothing.
This morning (6/21/10) I ran a GMER scan and nothing was highlighted.
I also ran the BitDefender Online Virus Scan and it found nothing.
I used Add/Remove Programs to remove HijackThis 2.0.2 (it instructed me to remove the HijackThis.exe file manually - I found there was an old Hijackthis.exe vers.1.x which I also deleted). An alert popped up saying Verify Class ID encountered a problem and had to close, followed by a dwwin.exe - Application Error message (The instruction at "0x77df0717" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not "read". Click on OK to terminate the program).
I downloaded and installed Hijackthis.msi to get the latest 2.0.4 vers. After it installed I saw another of the Verify Class ID alerts.
I don't notice anything very odd with the laptop other than the alerts I've mentioned (it's old - 256 mb ram - tends to run pretty slow, but fine enough for web surfing). The one thing is that, when clicking Start –>All Programs the blue cursor sometimes is not carrying over to the next menu (Accessories, Games, etc.) I have to click on the desktop to close the menu and then reopen it, in which case it then seems to work.
Another thing I noticed after the Avira scan was that only 28 items were appearing in Task List Manager - usually it's 29 when no browser, email program, etc. is open. I noticed the missing .item was cmdagent.exe, which is part of Comodo - cfp.exe, the firewall, was still there. I had a tricky time updating Comodo Firewall a few weeks ago (it decided it was incompatible with my Antivirus program) but seemed to finally get installed OK. cmdagent.exe reappeared after the system reboot.
Anyway, sorry to drone on. I wanted to make sure the malware was real, and not a false positive, and, if it is real, that it's all gone. Thanks in advance.
Here's the HJT report - the 08 item seems to be a hanger-on - I removed Google Toolbar a few weeks ago. The two 022 items are not anything I'd ever seen with HJT 2.0.2. The 023 item for ASP.NET is also a hanger-on - I believe I removed that program quite a while ago.
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 11:49:08 AM, on 6/21/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HiJackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ikariam.org/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DadApp] "C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\nwiz.exe" /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] "C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Internet Security] "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe" -h
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki… - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_2EC7709873947E87.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O16 - DPF: {01A88BB1-1174-41EC-ACCB-963509EAE56B} (SysProWmi Class) - http://support.dell.com/systemprofiler/SysPro.CAB
O16 - DPF: {076169AA-8C3D-4CFC-AC23-3ACA88FC21B5} (F-Secure Online Scanner Launcher) - http://download.sp.f-secure.com/ols/f-secu…/fslauncher.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {56762DEC-6B0D-4AB4-A8AD-989993B5D08B} - http://www.eset.eu/buxus/docs/OnlineScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/…can8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1263481292217
O16 - DPF: {7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5} (OnlineScanner Control) - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {BDBDE413-7B1C-4C68-A8FF-C5B2B4090876} (F-Secure Online Scanner 3.3) - http://support.f-secure.com/ols/fscax.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://games.pogo.com/online2/pogo/bejewel…aploader_v6.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard32.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: ASP.NET State Service (aspnet_state) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_state.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: COMODO Internet Security Helper Service (cmdAgent) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
–
End of file - 5336 bytes