This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Help removing Win32.PornPopUp

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Last night, I decided to run Spybot S&D, as I normally do every other day or so, on our other computer. I noticed one title which I'd never seen before, called "Win32.PornPopUp". It apparently detected 4 entries, all - from what I can discern - from adbrite.com or some such.

I immediately looked it up online, and saw that anything I could find on the title said that people were unable to fully remove it, as after restart it would immediately return. I decided to shut down and reboot my computer, and immediately run Spybot at startup. Behold - Spybot showed only a single threat - one entry for Win32.PornPopUp. I shut it down, as it was very late, and decided I'd better check the other computer, this one, this morning. Lucky me, 7 entries for Win32.PornPopUp.

Can anyone help me rid the computers of this beast? Both laptops are quite identical; literally the same machine. Both are running Windows XP, I think SP3. Both have SUPERAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, Spybot w/ Tea Timer running, and Avast! Antivirus.

I've attached both log files from DDS. I'd love any help anyone can offer on getting rid of this before it takes a turn for the worse! Thanks so much in advance!


DDS (Ver_10-03-17.01) - NTFSx86
Run by [removed] at 19:24:27.53 on Fri 06/18/2010
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.1014.225 [GMT -4:00]

AV: avast! antivirus 4.8.1368 [VPS 100618-1] *On-access scanning enabled* (Updated) {7591DB91-41F0-48A3-B128-1A293FD8233D}

============== Running Processes ===============

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\LAUNCH~1\LManager.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\InCD\NBHGui.exe
C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Prolific\EZ-DUB Finder\OneBtn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\WebCam\M3000\M3000Mnt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar\Platform\4.0.0379.0\mswinext.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxext.exe
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAANTMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\InCD\NBHRegInCDSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IoctlSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer VCM\RS_Service.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSVC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSvcM.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Carbonite\CarbonitePreinstaller.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Family02\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Family02\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Family02\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Family02\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Family02\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Family02\Desktop\dds.scr

============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============

uStart Page = https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogi…mp;ltmplcache=2
uDefault_Page_URL = hxxp://homepage.acer.com/rdr.aspx?b=ACAW&l=0409&s=0&o=xph&d=0909&m=aspire_one
mDefault_Page_URL = hxxp://homepage.acer.com/rdr.aspx?b=ACAW&l=0409&s=0&o=xph&d=0909&m=aspire_one
mStart Page = hxxp://homepage.acer.com/rdr.aspx?b=ACAW&l=0409&s=0&o=xph&d=0909&m=aspire_one
uInternet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = hxxp://homepage.acer.com/rdr.aspx?b=ACAW&l=0409&s=0&o=xph&d=0909&m=aspire_one
BHO: Adobe PDF Link Helper: {18df081c-e8ad-4283-a596-fa578c2ebdc3} - c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection: {53707962-6f74-2d53-2644-206d7942484f} - c:\progra~1\spybot~1\SDHelper.dll
BHO: {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - No File
BHO: Search Helper: {6ebf7485-159f-4bff-a14f-b9e3aac4465b} - c:\program files\microsoft\search enhancement pack\search helper\SEPsearchhelperie.dll
BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper: {9030d464-4c02-4abf-8ecc-5164760863c6} - c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
BHO: MSN Toolbar BHO: {d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f} - c:\program files\msn toolbar\platform\4.0.0379.0\npwinext.dll
BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper: {dbc80044-a445-435b-bc74-9c25c1c588a9} - c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class: {e7e6f031-17ce-4c07-bc86-eabfe594f69c} - c:\program files\java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
TB: MSN Toolbar: {8dcb7100-df86-4384-8842-8fa844297b3f} - c:\program files\msn toolbar\platform\4.0.0379.0\npwinext.dll
uRun: [ctfmon.exe] c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
uRun: [IndxStoreSvr_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "c:\program files\common files\nero\lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe" ASO-616B5711-6DAE-4795-A05F-39A1E5104020
uRun: [Google Update] "c:\documents and settings\family02\local settings\application data\google\update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
uRun: [SUPERAntiSpyware] c:\program files\superantispyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
uRun: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] c:\program files\spybot - search & destroy\TeaTimer.exe
uRun: [MSMSGS] "c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
mRun: [IAAnotif] c:\program files\intel\intel matrix storage manager\iaanotif.exe
mRun: [IgfxTray] c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
mRun: [HotKeysCmds] c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
mRun: [Persistence] c:\windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
mRun: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
mRun: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
mRun: [AzMixerSel] c:\program files\realtek\audio\drivers\AzMixerSel.exe
mRun: [SynTPEnh] c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\SynTPEnh.exe
mRun: [LManager] c:\progra~1\launch~1\LManager.exe
mRun: [Google Desktop Search] "c:\program files\google\google desktop search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
mRun: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "c:\program files\adobe\reader 9.0\reader\Reader_sl.exe"
mRun: [CarboniteSetupLite] "c:\program files\carbonite\CarbonitePreinstaller.exe" /preinstalled
mRun: [IMJPMIG8.1] "c:\windows\ime\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
mRun: [MSPY2002] c:\windows\system32\ime\pintlgnt\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
mRun: [PHIME2002ASync] c:\windows\system32\ime\tintlgnt\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
mRun: [PHIME2002A] c:\windows\system32\ime\tintlgnt\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
mRun: [M3000Mnt] Rundll32.exe M3000Rmv.dll ,WinMainRmv /StartStillMnt
mRun: [NeroFilterCheck] c:\program files\common files\nero\lib\NeroCheck.exe
mRun: [SecurDisc] c:\program files\nero\nero8\incd\NBHGui.exe
mRun: [InCD] c:\program files\nero\nero8\incd\InCD.exe
mRun: [Prolific2571_OneButton] c:\program files\prolific\ez-dub finder\OneBtn.exe
mRun: [avast!] c:\progra~1\alwils~1\avast4\ashDisp.exe
mRun: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "c:\program files\common files\java\java update\jusched.exe"
mRun: [MSN Toolbar] "c:\program files\msn toolbar\platform\4.0.0379.0\mswinext.exe"
mRun: [Microsoft Default Manager] "c:\program files\microsoft\search enhancement pack\default manager\DefMgr.exe" -resume
mRun: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\acervc~1.lnk - c:\program files\acer\acer vcm\AcerVCM.exe
IE: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - c:\progra~1\micros~2\office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
IE: Google Sidewiki… - c:\program files\google\google toolbar\component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_96D6FF0C6D236BF8.dll/cmsidewiki.html
IE: {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
IE: {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe
IE: {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - {5F7B1267-94A9-47F5-98DB-E99415F33AEC} - c:\program files\windows live\writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
IE: {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - {48E73304-E1D6-4330-914C-F5F514E3486C} - c:\progra~1\micros~2\office12\ONBttnIE.dll
IE: {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - {FF059E31-CC5A-4E2E-BF3B-96E929D65503} - c:\progra~1\micros~2\office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
IE: {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - c:\progra~1\spybot~1\SDHelper.dll
DPF: {40F576AD-8680-4F9E-9490-99D069CD665F} - hxxp://srtest-cdn.systemrequirementslab.com.s3.amazonaws.com/bin/sysreqlabdetect.cab
DPF: {54B52E52-8000-4413-BD67-FC7FE24B59F2} - hxxp://simcity.ea.com/update/EARTPX.cab
DPF: {8100D56A-5661-482C-BEE8-AFECE305D968} - hxxp://upload.facebook.com/controls/2009.07.28_v5.5.8.1/FacebookPhotoUploader55.cab
DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_20-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {BC18E6DF-BE57-4580-93E8-F228F9A133AA} - hxxp://simcity.ea.com/exchange/lots/teleport/MaxisSimCity4LotTeleX.cab
DPF: {C36661D7-3590-45B1-80B5-520839E94DAD} - hxxp://simcity.ea.com/update/MaxisSimCity4PatcherX.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0020-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_20-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_20-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - hxxp://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
Handler: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - c:\program files\acer\acer vcm\Skype4COM.dll
Notify: !SASWinLogon - c:\program files\superantispyware\SASWINLO.dll
Notify: igfxcui - igfxdev.dll
AppInit_DLLs: c:\progra~1\google\google~1\GOEC62~1.DLL
SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - c:\windows\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
SEH: SABShellExecuteHook Class: {5ae067d3-9afb-48e0-853a-ebb7f4a000da} - c:\program files\superantispyware\SASSEH.DLL
mASetup: {10880D85-AAD9-4558-ABDC-2AB1552D831F} - "c:\program files\common files\lightscribe\LSRunOnce.exe"

============= SERVICES / DRIVERS ===============

R1 aswSP;avast! Self Protection;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswSP.sys [2009-12-29 114768]
R1 mfehidk;McAfee Inc. mfehidk;c:\windows\system32\drivers\mfehidk.sys [2009-3-12 214664]
R1 SASDIFSV;SASDIFSV;c:\program files\superantispyware\sasdifsv.sys [2010-2-17 12872]
R1 SASKUTIL;SASKUTIL;c:\program files\superantispyware\SASKUTIL.SYS [2010-2-17 66632]
R2 aswFsBlk;aswFsBlk;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswFsBlk.sys [2009-12-29 20560]
R2 avast! Antivirus;avast! Antivirus;c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashServ.exe [2009-12-29 138680]
R2 NeroRegInCDSrv;Nero Registry InCD Service;c:\program files\nero\nero8\incd\NBHRegInCDSrv.exe [2008-7-10 53032]
R2 RS_Service;Raw Socket Service;c:\program files\acer\acer vcm\RS_Service.exe [2009-3-12 237568]
R3 avast! Mail Scanner;avast! Mail Scanner;c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashMaiSv.exe [2009-12-29 254040]
R3 avast! Web Scanner;avast! Web Scanner;c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashWebSv.exe [2009-12-29 352920]
R3 L1c;NDIS Miniport Driver for Atheros AR8131/AR8132 PCI-E Ethernet Controller;c:\windows\system32\drivers\l1c51x86.sys [2009-3-3 38912]
R3 M3000Srv;WebCam Driver;c:\windows\system32\drivers\M3000KNT.sys [2009-6-4 145408]
R3 SASENUM;SASENUM;c:\program files\superantispyware\SASENUM.SYS [2010-2-17 12872]
S2 gupdate;Google Update Service (gupdate);c:\program files\google\update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2010-2-14 135664]
S3 Ambfilt;Ambfilt;c:\windows\system32\drivers\Ambfilt.sys [2009-3-12 1684736]
S3 GoogleDesktopManager-080708-050100;Google Desktop Manager 5.7.808.7150;c:\program files\google\google desktop search\GoogleDesktop.exe [2009-3-12 24064]
S3 mfeavfk;McAfee Inc. mfeavfk;c:\windows\system32\drivers\mfeavfk.sys [2009-3-12 79816]
S3 mfebopk;McAfee Inc. mfebopk;c:\windows\system32\drivers\mfebopk.sys [2009-3-12 35272]
S3 mferkdk;McAfee Inc. mferkdk;c:\windows\system32\drivers\mferkdk.sys [2009-3-12 34248]
S3 mfesmfk;McAfee Inc. mfesmfk;c:\windows\system32\drivers\mfesmfk.sys [2009-3-12 40552]
S3 npggsvc;nProtect GameGuard Service;c:\windows\system32\gamemon.des -service –> c:\windows\system32\GameMon.des -service [?]
S3 RSUSBSTOR;RTS5121.Sys Realtek USB Card Reader;c:\windows\system32\drivers\rts5121.sys –> c:\windows\system32\drivers\RTS5121.sys [?]
S3 Rts516xIR;Realtek IR Driver;c:\windows\system32\drivers\rts516xir.sys –> c:\windows\system32\drivers\Rts516xIR.sys [?]

=============== Created Last 30 ================


==================== Find3M ====================

2010-06-16 16:44:17 45 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\family02\jagex_runescape_preferences.dat
2010-06-16 16:44:17 41 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\family02\jagex__preferences3.dat
2010-06-16 16:22:24 87 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\family02\jagex_runescape_preferences2.dat
2010-05-04 17:20:39 832512 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll
2010-05-04 17:20:34 78336 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\ieencode.dll
2010-05-04 17:20:32 17408 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\corpol.dll
2010-05-02 05:22:50 1851264 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\win32k.sys
2010-04-20 05:30:08 285696 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\atmfd.dll
2010-04-12 22:29:19 411368 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\deployJava1.dll
2009-03-12 05:16:13 32768 –sha-w- c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\application data\microsoft\feeds cache\index.dat
2009-09-09 08:35:01 32768 –sha-w- c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\history\history.ie5\mshist012009090920090910\index.dat

============= FINISH: 19:25:01.59 ===============
Posted Image


DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix, or HijackThis fixes without supervision.

Doing so could make your pc inoperatible and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.



Vista and Windows 7 users:
1. These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them
2. With Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")


Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

I suggest you do this:


XP Users

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Vista Users

To enable the viewing of hidden and protected system files in Windows Vista please follow these steps:

Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.

Click on the Control Panel menu option.
When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home view:

If you are in the Classic View do the following:
Double-click on the Folder Options icon.
Click on the View tab.


If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:

Click on the Appearance and Personalization link.
Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.
Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.




Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.


We've been seeing some Java infections lately.
Go here and follow the instructions to clear your Java Cache


Next:

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.

Next:


Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2 If using this link, Right Click and select Save As.


* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop


  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. Note: If you are having difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, or are unsure as to what programs need to be disabled, please refer to the information available through this link : Protective Programs

  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.

    Notes: Combofix will run without the Recovery Console installed. Skip the Recovery Console part if you're running Vista or Windows 7.

    Note: If you have SP3, use the SP2 package.
    If Vista or Windows 7, skip the Recovery Console part

  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.


[external image: Posted Image]



Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

[external image: Posted Image]


Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt using Copy / Paste in your next reply.


Notes:

1.Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making I-E the default browser.
3. Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CD, floppy and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you – please tell your helper.
4. CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.

Give it atleast 20-30 minutes to finish if needed.

Please do not attach the scan results from Combofx. Use copy/paste.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
OK, as per your instructions, I cleaned out my Java, ran ATF-Cleaner, and ran ComboFix. I have only done so to this computer, and not the other, as I didn't want to confuse anyone with loads of text from two different machines. After cleaning this one, if it's all right with you, I will post either a new topic or a new reply here with the DDS logs from the other computer.

The computer seems to be running as normal, as it had both long before and after discovering Win32.PornPopUp on the system. Nothing seemed to have changed, but who knows what was or is going on in the background.

I did not disable the default XP firewall before running ComboFix, as I was unsure whether I should or not. If you would like me to rerun ComboFix with all of my protection programs AND the firewall turned off, let me know and I'll go ahead and take care of it.

Also, ComboFix restarted the computer after reaching the end of its initial scan, and after rebooting posted its log. Is this typical?

Here's the copy from ComboFix:


ComboFix 10-06-18.03 - Family02 06/19/2010 12:56:28.1.2 - x86
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.1014.529 [GMT -4:00]
Running from: c:\documents and settings\[removed]\Desktop\ComboFix.exe
AV: avast! antivirus 4.8.1368 [VPS 100619-0] *On-access scanning disabled* (Updated) {7591DB91-41F0-48A3-B128-1A293FD8233D}
.

((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2010-05-19 to 2010-06-19 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
.

2010-05-25 03:36 . 2010-05-25 03:36 503808 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\Family02\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\SystemCache\6.0\46\f84c6ae-243a27d8-n\msvcp71.dll
2010-05-25 03:36 . 2010-05-25 03:36 499712 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\Family02\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\SystemCache\6.0\46\f84c6ae-243a27d8-n\jmc.dll
2010-05-25 03:36 . 2010-05-25 03:36 348160 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\Family02\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\SystemCache\6.0\46\f84c6ae-243a27d8-n\msvcr71.dll
2010-05-25 03:36 . 2010-05-25 03:36 61440 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\Family02\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\SystemCache\6.0\50\5535ab32-2c4681cc-n\decora-sse.dll
2010-05-25 03:36 . 2010-05-25 03:36 12800 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\Family02\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\SystemCache\6.0\50\5535ab32-2c4681cc-n\decora-d3d.dll

.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
.
2010-06-16 16:44 . 2010-03-28 02:36 41 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\Family02\jagex__preferences3.dat
2010-06-16 16:44 . 2009-10-15 19:31 45 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\Family02\jagex_runescape_preferences.dat
2010-06-16 16:22 . 2009-10-15 19:32 87 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\Family02\jagex_runescape_preferences2.dat
2010-06-12 05:43 . 2009-03-12 05:59 ——– d—–w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft Help
2010-06-04 23:02 . 2009-12-23 15:10 ——– d—–w- c:\program files\Microsoft Silverlight
2010-05-29 14:44 . 2010-03-05 15:33 117760 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\Family02\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware\SDDLLS\UIREPAIR.DLL
2010-05-10 04:19 . 2009-09-24 20:45 1 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\Family02\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user\uno_packages\cache\stamp.sys
2010-05-08 13:53 . 2010-05-08 13:53 503808 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\Family02\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\SystemCache\6.0\54\1a209876-638da2ad-n\msvcp71.dll
2010-05-08 13:53 . 2010-05-08 13:53 499712 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\Family02\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\SystemCache\6.0\54\1a209876-638da2ad-n\jmc.dll
2010-05-08 13:53 . 2010-05-08 13:53 348160 —-a-w- c:\documents and settings\Family02\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\SystemCache\6.0\54\1a209876-638da2ad-n\msvcr71.dll
.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
.
.
*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shelliconoverlayidentifiers\NBHShellExt]
@="{8D2223A2-B3C6-4e32-B096-CDD11F628C60}"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8D2223A2-B3C6-4e32-B096-CDD11F628C60}]
2008-07-10 12:23 97064 —-a-w- c:\program files\Nero\Nero8\InCD\NBHShx.dll

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"IndxStoreSvr_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}"="c:\program files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe" [2008-06-24 1840424]
"Google Update"="c:\documents and settings\Family02\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" [2009-10-06 133104]
"SUPERAntiSpyware"="c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe" [2010-02-18 2012912]
"ctfmon.exe"="c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe" [2008-04-14 15360]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"M3000Mnt"="M3000Rmv.dll " [X]
"IAAnotif"="c:\program files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe" [2008-04-16 178712]
"IgfxTray"="c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe" [2008-02-28 141848]
"HotKeysCmds"="c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe" [2008-02-28 166424]
"Persistence"="c:\windows\system32\igfxpers.exe" [2008-02-28 137752]
"RTHDCPL"="RTHDCPL.EXE" [2009-02-24 17529856]
"AzMixerSel"="c:\program files\Realtek\Audio\Drivers\AzMixerSel.exe" [2006-01-25 53248]
"SynTPEnh"="c:\program files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe" [2009-02-05 1430824]
"LManager"="c:\progra~1\LAUNCH~1\LManager.exe" [2008-12-30 875016]
"Google Desktop Search"="c:\program files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" [2009-03-12 24064]
"Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"="c:\program files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe" [2008-06-12 34672]
"CarboniteSetupLite"="c:\program files\Carbonite\CarbonitePreinstaller.exe" [2008-10-03 294544]
"IMJPMIG8.1"="c:\windows\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" [2008-04-14 208952]
"MSPY2002"="c:\windows\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe" [2008-04-14 59392]
"PHIME2002ASync"="c:\windows\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE" [2008-04-14 455168]
"PHIME2002A"="c:\windows\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE" [2008-04-14 455168]
"NeroFilterCheck"="c:\program files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NeroCheck.exe" [2008-07-09 570664]
"SecurDisc"="c:\program files\Nero\Nero8\InCD\NBHGui.exe" [2008-07-10 2049320]
"InCD"="c:\program files\Nero\Nero8\InCD\InCD.exe" [2008-07-10 1083176]
"Prolific2571_OneButton"="c:\program files\Prolific\EZ-DUB Finder\OneBtn.exe" [2008-11-13 65536]
"avast!"="c:\progra~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe" [2009-11-24 81000]
"SunJavaUpdateSched"="c:\program files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe" [2010-02-18 248040]
"MSN Toolbar"="c:\program files\MSN Toolbar\Platform\4.0.0379.0\mswinext.exe" [2009-12-09 240992]
"Microsoft Default Manager"="c:\program files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Default Manager\DefMgr.exe" [2009-07-17 288080]

c:\documents and settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
Acer VCM.lnk - c:\program files\Acer\Acer VCM\AcerVCM.exe [2009-3-12 565248]

[hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\ShellExecuteHooks]
"{5AE067D3-9AFB-48E0-853A-EBB7F4A000DA}"= "c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASSEH.DLL" [2008-05-13 77824]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon\notify\!SASWinLogon]
2009-09-03 19:21 548352 —-a-w- c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\Wdf01000.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"=
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office12\\ONENOTE.EXE"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Pando Networks\\Media Booster\\PMB.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Windows Live\\Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Windows Live\\Sync\\WindowsLiveSync.exe"=

[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]
"57344:TCP"= 57344:TCP:Pando Media Booster
"57344:UDP"= 57344:UDP:Pando Media Booster

R1 aswSP;avast! Self Protection;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswSP.sys [12/29/2009 6:13 PM 114768]
R1 SASDIFSV;SASDIFSV;c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\sasdifsv.sys [2/17/2010 11:25 AM 12872]
R1 SASKUTIL;SASKUTIL;c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASKUTIL.SYS [2/17/2010 11:15 AM 66632]
R2 aswFsBlk;aswFsBlk;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswFsBlk.sys [12/29/2009 6:13 PM 20560]
R2 NeroRegInCDSrv;Nero Registry InCD Service;c:\program files\Nero\Nero8\InCD\NBHRegInCDSrv.exe [7/10/2008 8:23 AM 53032]
R2 RS_Service;Raw Socket Service;c:\program files\Acer\Acer VCM\RS_Service.exe [3/12/2009 2:32 AM 237568]
R3 L1c;NDIS Miniport Driver for Atheros AR8131/AR8132 PCI-E Ethernet Controller;c:\windows\system32\drivers\l1c51x86.sys [3/3/2009 11:03 PM 38912]
R3 M3000Srv;WebCam Driver;c:\windows\system32\drivers\M3000KNT.sys [6/4/2009 9:55 AM 145408]
R3 SASENUM;SASENUM;c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASENUM.SYS [2/17/2010 11:15 AM 12872]
S2 gupdate;Google Update Service (gupdate);c:\program files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2/14/2010 5:14 PM 135664]
S3 Ambfilt;Ambfilt;c:\windows\system32\drivers\Ambfilt.sys [3/12/2009 1:56 AM 1684736]
S3 GoogleDesktopManager-080708-050100;Google Desktop Manager 5.7.808.7150;c:\program files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe [3/12/2009 2:06 AM 24064]
S3 npggsvc;nProtect GameGuard Service;c:\windows\system32\GameMon.des -service –> c:\windows\system32\GameMon.des -service [?]
S3 RSUSBSTOR;RTS5121.Sys Realtek USB Card Reader;c:\windows\system32\Drivers\RTS5121.sys –> c:\windows\system32\Drivers\RTS5121.sys [?]
S3 Rts516xIR;Realtek IR Driver;c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\Rts516xIR.sys –> c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\Rts516xIR.sys [?]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\active setup\installed components\{10880D85-AAD9-4558-ABDC-2AB1552D831F}]
2008-08-22 18:11 451872 —-a-w- c:\program files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSRunOnce.exe
.
Contents of the 'Scheduled Tasks' folder

2010-06-19 c:\windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore.job
- c:\program files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2010-02-14 21:14]

2010-06-19 c:\windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA.job
- c:\program files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2010-02-14 21:14]

2010-06-16 c:\windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-2387590086-3402799377-1653462319-1005Core.job
- c:\documents and settings\Family02\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2009-10-06 03:13]

2010-06-19 c:\windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-2387590086-3402799377-1653462319-1005UA.job
- c:\documents and settings\Family02\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2009-10-06 03:13]
.
.
——- Supplementary Scan ——-
.
uStart Page = https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogi…mp;ltmplcache=2
mStart Page = hxxp://homepage.acer.com/rdr.aspx?b=ACAW&l;=0409&s;=0&o;=xph&d;=0909&m;=aspire_one
uInternet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = hxxp://homepage.acer.com/rdr.aspx?b=ACAW&l;=0409&s;=0&o;=xph&d;=0909&m;=aspire_one
IE: E&xport; to Microsoft Excel - c:\progra~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
IE: Google Sidewiki… - c:\program files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_96D6FF0C6D236BF8.dll/cmsidewiki.html
.
- - - - ORPHANS REMOVED - - - -

SafeBoot-mcmscsvc
SafeBoot-MCODS



**************************************************************************

catchme 0.3.1398 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2010-06-19 13:03
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS

scanning hidden processes …

scanning hidden autostart entries …

scanning hidden files …

scan completed successfully
hidden files: 0

**************************************************************************

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\npggsvc]
"ImagePath"="c:\windows\system32\GameMon.des -service"
.
——————— DLLs Loaded Under Running Processes ———————

- - - - - - - > 'winlogon.exe'(744)
c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
c:\windows\system32\WININET.dll

- - - - - - - > 'explorer.exe'(1048)
c:\windows\system32\WININET.dll
c:\program files\Nero\Nero8\InCD\NBHShx.dll
c:\program files\Nero\Nero8\InCD\NBHStr.dll
c:\program files\Common Files\Nero\Shared\NL3\AdvrCntr3.dll
c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll
c:\windows\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
c:\windows\system32\PortableDeviceTypes.dll
c:\windows\system32\PortableDeviceApi.dll
c:\program files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NeroDigitalExt.dll
c:\program files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\PDFShell.dll
.
———————— Other Running Processes ————————
.
c:\program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
c:\program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
c:\program files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAANTMon.exe
c:\windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
c:\windows\RTHDCPL.EXE
c:\program files\Nero\Nero8\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
c:\program files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
c:\program files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
c:\windows\WebCam\M3000\M3000Mnt.exe
c:\windows\system32\igfxext.exe
c:\windows\system32\IoctlSvc.exe
c:\program files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
c:\program files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSVC.EXE
c:\program files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSvcM.exe
c:\program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
c:\program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
c:\program files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
.
**************************************************************************
.
Completion time: 2010-06-19 13:07:12 - machine was rebooted
ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt 2010-06-19 17:07

Pre-Run: 131,822,919,680 bytes free
Post-Run: 131,803,074,560 bytes free

WindowsXP-KB310994-SP2-Home-BootDisk-ENU.exe
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
c:\cmdcons\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

- - End Of File - - 9A1343353CC406204B9B29584D3CE43A
I don't see anything bad there.

Good job :thumbup:

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

  • Click START run
  • Now type ComboFix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.

To be on the safe side, I would also change all my passwords.



Here's my usual all clean post

Log looks good :D


This infection appears to have been cleaned, but as the malware could be configured to run any program a remote attacker requires, it's impossible to be 100% sure that any machine is clean.


  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week
    (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

  • Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer.
    Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over.
    I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients.
    Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

  • Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly.
    This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.
    If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site
    until there are no more critical updates.

Only run one Anti-Virus and Firewall program.


I would suggest you read How to Prevent Malware:
I did a quick run through of the entries in the log myself and seemed to recognize all of them. It's surprising how many things Google is attached to! :rofl: I'm going to go ahead and restart this computer and run SpyBot, if that's all right with you, since you actually know what you're doing. ;) I would just like to see if Win32.PornPopUp appears again, out of curiosity (and furious paranoia). Also, should I post the DDS logs from the other machine here in a new reply, or in another post? I intend on getting this one shut down before I start working with that one, just in case it has something to do with the wireless internet, but I'd just like to know before I do anything stupid. :blush: Oh, and by the way. ALL of the Win32.PornPopUp entries that Spybot listed were described in the program as having come from the same site (adbrite or adbite.com, not entirely sure which). Is there any way I can block this site from showing or loading anything on the computers?
1. Yes reboot and run SpyBot. 2. Start a new topic for the other pc. 3. Once you know what the site was you can block the site either in firewall settings or IE: Tools > Internet Options > Security > Restricted Sites
All right, I'll go ahead and restart the computer and run Spybot and let you know if it finds anything other than the typical browsing junk. Otherwise, I'll return once more and let you know the computer is clean as far as we can tell. Also, I know I'm getting to be a pain with my questions, but should I be using another firewall other than the default Windows one? And either way, can I block said site using the Windows firewall? Ahh, I'm being so annoying and clueless! :mellow:
As far as I know, you can't change any settings with windows firewall. The best way would be for you to add the site in the restricted zones.
I've gone ahead and scanned and immunized this computer with Spybot, and hooray, it didn't find any instances of Win32.PornPopUp. Thanks so much for your help! Hopefully, the little beast won't return over the next couple of days, as seems to have been happening with it for other people. I added both adbite and adbrite to my blocked list on IE, as I can't seem to find it anywhere in Spybot which it was. Am I missing it? Also, is there any way to add it in Chrome and/or Firefox? And I was wondering, if Win32.PornPopUp came from an imbedded ad on a site I visited, will adding adbrite/bite to the blocked list prevent it from shoving more stuff onto my system in the same way?

if Win32.PornPopUp came from an imbedded ad on a site I visited

adbrite is like Google's Adsense. I'm not say an add that was added to a website by Adbrite didn't redirect and infect you, but the Adbrite site itself didn't infect you.

I use the paid for version of MalwareBytes (MBAM) that does a very good job of blocking bad sites,
There are other programs that can help as well. SpyBot is one. Do you keep SpyBot updated and run the immunization?Here's a couple more:

SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard
I usually wind up running Spybot multiple times a week, and always-always-always update directly before scanning. But to tell you the truth, I often forget to immunize. I know it's terrible of me, but life gets ahold of me and runs me off without much warning. After this, I ASSURE you, I'll no longer forget to run it. Are there any decent free firewalls I should look into, which won't conflict with anything I already have loaded, or should I go on with what I have? I also have McAfee's Site Advisor, for the record.
I think Windows firewall is OK.

Here is a list of free Firewalls. Please only choose one.


Never install more than one Antivirus and Firewall! Rather than giving you extra protection, it will decrease the reliability of it seriously!
The reason for this is that if both products have their automatic (Real-Time) protection switched on, your system may lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.
Also because more than one Antivirus and Firewall installed are not compatible with each other, it can cause system performance problems and a serious system slowdown.
All righty, I'll take a good look at those and see which one suits the systems best! I know all about having more than one anti-virus installed causing issues, as for some reason the McAfee trial that came pre-installed on both of the computers didn't completely uninstall on this one (disappeared just fine on the other), and I hadn't realizing when I downloaded and installed Avast!. It was quite an event! Should I turn off the Windows firewall if I install one of those? Sorry to ask so many questions!
All right, thanks so much again for your help! You really helped out! Here's to hoping it doesn't find its way back in in a couple of days! I'll now get this computer all closed up and start a new topic for the other.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI