Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Ask Toolbar Self Install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ladykrimson

ladykrimson

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

I run Firefox 3.6.3 on Windows XP Service Pack 3 fully updated. When I clicked on the shortcut, it began loading up as usual. Suddenly, it disappeared. Then after a few moments, the window popped up. My home page had been changed to Ask and the Ask toolbar had been installed. I did not install any new programs or make any changes to my computer. So how did it get onto my computer?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:58 AM

Hi, The Ask toolbar comes "bundled" with quite a few applications..when these are installed....there is usually a box that needs ticking/checkmarking if you don't want the Ask toolbar to be installed....... the box that you need to tick to avoid installing it is easy to miss...... Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

I believe you can uninstall the Ask toolbar via Add/Remove programs. If not, use Tools/Add-ons to disable and uninstall it. For the Home page, go to the web site you want it to be, then click on Tools/Options. On the General tab, clikc Use Current Page.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 ladykrimson

ladykrimson

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

I did not do any recent installations of any software, nor were there any updates installed. The application simply installed itself. I was wondering if anyone knew how this could happen when nothing was recently installed or updated. I am aware that it can be uninstalled, and I have already done so. I just want to know how it got there in the first place.

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

I does not install on it's own. I has to have been bundled with something you installed or updated. I can't remember what software Ask is bundled with, perhaps CCleaner or Avast or ... so just updating to a new version of already installed software could have added it.

Rich

#6 ladykrimson

ladykrimson

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

But I haven't installed anything recently nor have I updated anything...at least not on that particular day.

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

I don't know then, sorry. It didn't get there on it's own, it had to come bundled with something.

Rich