This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Ask Toolbar Self Install

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I run Firefox 3.6.3 on Windows XP Service Pack 3 fully updated. When I clicked on the shortcut, it began loading up as usual. Suddenly, it disappeared. Then after a few moments, the window popped up. My home page had been changed to Ask and the Ask toolbar had been installed. I did not install any new programs or make any changes to my computer. So how did it get onto my computer?
Hi, The Ask toolbar comes "bundled" with quite a few applications..when these are installed….there is usually a box that needs ticking/checkmarking if you don't want the Ask toolbar to be installed……. the box that you need to tick to avoid installing it is easy to miss…… Regards paws
I believe you can uninstall the Ask toolbar via Add/Remove programs. If not, use Tools/Add-ons to disable and uninstall it. For the Home page, go to the web site you want it to be, then click on Tools/Options. On the General tab, clikc Use Current Page.
I did not do any recent installations of any software, nor were there any updates installed. The application simply installed itself. I was wondering if anyone knew how this could happen when nothing was recently installed or updated. I am aware that it can be uninstalled, and I have already done so. I just want to know how it got there in the first place.
I does not install on it's own. I has to have been bundled with something you installed or updated. I can't remember what software Ask is bundled with, perhaps CCleaner or Avast or … so just updating to a new version of already installed software could have added it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI