This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

No Audio Device?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there Great People! I have a fairly "old" Dell Dimension 3000 desktop. It's about 4-6 years old. Anyway, my MIL bought it pretty stripped down for her usage and when she passed it onto my children, they complained about it not having any sound…there aren't any speakers or speaker outputs on the monitor. So I was given a pair of CA computer speakers and I plugged them in and VOILA! Sound! After 1 year now, they have stopped working. I tested them with other electronic devices and they work fine. So something is MISSING in the system. Double checking online, these speakers don't require a driver. So I think the problem MIGHT be the sound card. My question is: How can I tell if I even have a sound card? I must, though, because I had sound from the speakers for a year, right? Has something been disabled or removed? Perhaps the driver for the soundcard? Help? :wacko:
Hi, Sorry to hear of the sound problem Here's some steps for you to consider 1 Check the sound volume control (Loudspeaker icon in notification area) is not set to mute and the vol is set to at leabout 75% of maximum 2 Check Device Manager………Start>Rightclick on My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager scroll down to sound vieo etc…are there any yellow or red markers againstany items……if so right click on them and update the driver…..you may need to restart your computer for these to take effect……look particularly for anything refering to AC97…. Regards paws

1 Check the sound volume control (Loudspeaker icon in notification area) is not set to mute and the vol is set to at leabout 75% of maximum
2 Check Device Manager………Start>Rightclick on My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager scroll down to sound vieo etc…are there any yellow or red markers againstany items……if so right click on them and update the driver…..you may need to restart your computer for these to take effect……look particularly for anything refering to AC97


#1: This is the message I get when I try to open Volume control:

[external image: Posted Image]

#2: Here's a screenshot of my devices under Sound and also something Unknown under "other":

[external image: Posted Image]
Hi, Make sure you are connected to the Internet. Right click on your muti media audio controller and see if you can update the driver;…. You may need to close down and then restart the computer to complete the driver installation… Let us know how things are going. If the above does not fix things then we will need to dig a little deeper. Please advise your exact make and model number of your computer…….. if you have a non proprietory machine or a "bitsa" then we need the make and model number of your motherboard. If you have a separate sound card like on a PCI type card or a USB plug in model then advise full details please. Regards paws
It won't update the driver…it says it can't find the necessary software. I am on a Dell Dimension 3000. How would I know what kind of sound card I have? If I DO have one, it will be inside the unit…not a usb plug in.
Hi,
Make sure that "on board sound" is enabled in your BIOS (set up) if its not then enable it and save changes before exiting. Your machine will restart,
next gave a look here:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/…atid=&impid
fill in your details and try and download and install the driver for your sound, when you have finished restart your computer.

If you fitted an internal PCI type sound card then we will need to know ithe make and model number, and the same if you have plugged in a USB sound card. (Only you will know if you have fitted either of these….)
Regards
paws
Well, I ended up going to the link that you provided and was able to download SoundMax software/driver and now the audio works! Yay! THanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI