This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Defender Error

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I am using WinXp pro 2000 Dell laptop. Out of nowhere this error message appeared: "Windows Defender" Application failed to initialize 0x800106ba. A problem caused this programs service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or search help & support for how to start a service manually. I restarted the computer, same message appeared. I went to help & support and nothing happened (and I mean nothing) tried to go online and cannot open that either. I then went to start service manually in computer management, clicked on windows defender, hit start and error message" "Could not start the windows defender service on local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start" Then, went to remove program/ uninstall and that could not be done (sorry forgot what it said). So I am getting worried and want to backup my computer, but I can’t do that either. It will not let me do anything. I even tried to restore. I have tried everything in safe mode as well as reg. I am on another computer but i do have an external hard drive available. Can you please help me! Thank you in advance.
Hi,and sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing. You are wise to want to back up all your important stuff from your computer, that for one reason or another may have not been backed up already and kept safe on separate media.
I recommend that you consider as a first immediate action the use of Linux Puppy Live.

The purpose of creating a Linux Puppy Live bootable operating system disc is so that you can boot your machine (when Windows will not start or run reliably) using the Linux Puppy disc and copy off to an external USB drive (hard drive or flash drive etc) any important data that you may not have included in your most recent regular back up.

Using this disc you will be able to back up (copy) to a flash drive or external USB hard drive, files on your machine that are important to you and that you would not like to lose.
Once you have done this and protected your position you can look at other options to try and repair your computer…..

Here's a detailed step by step procedure list to exactly what you need to do. I suggest you print it out, make the bootable Linux Pupply disc using a servicable machine that you have access to.

Linux Puppy backup
Back up when you can't boot into Windows
A.) Please take the opportunity now to bring your back up/archive/copy of all your important stuff 100% up to date, check that it's accurate, reproducible and held securely on removable media (not your hard drive)……
the idea here is to ensure that all your important data, files, spreadsheets, work, music, emails, log in details, user names, address book, drivers, letters, invoices, videos etc….in fact everything that is important to you (stuff that you would not like to permanently lose) is kept safe on external media. I recommend the use of a USB external hard drive for this.
Whilst you are doing this, collect together all your application installation discs (or downloaded installation executables) serial numbers, product licence keys (including the one for Windows itself and the Microsoft Windows installation disc and or Manufacturer's Restore and Driver/utilities discs.
If you have made a "disc image" using Paragon, Acronis, Ghost or one of the free disc imaging alternatives then keep this image safe also on removable media, verify it for correctness and reproducibility and ensure you have made a bootable CD/DVD for use in the event that Windows will not start.

Now,here's the detailed instructions on how to do it.
B.) Download Linux Puppy from here:
http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=…t%20Release.htm
Its a download of only about 100MB, so a broadband connection is advisable for the download… Puppy is an alternative operating system….. it does not need Windows to run, and the licence to use it is free of charge and comes included automatically. It is different in its interface from Windows, but sufficiently intuitive for most folks to use it successfully without problem.
C.) Burn the iso (that you have downloaded) to CD ROM as an "image"…it must be as an image, a copy will not work!……..Imgburn is good for this, available from here:
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
NOTE by following this procedure you will have created a "self contained" operating system" (Linux Puppy and a bootable CD ROM all in one!
D.) Switch on your "original" computer and Set Bios to Boot from CD as first priority…on most Dells it's F2 to enter the Bios (set up) otherwise try F12, Esc or Del.NOTE you will need to press the appropriate key (to enter the Bios) immediately after power on.
Your hard drive should be next in priority followed by USB/network if the settings provide these options. Remember to save your altered settings in the Bios before exiting
E.) With your external back up media plugged in to a USB port I.E. External USB hard drive, flash drive etc and the Linux Puppy CD ROM inserted into the CD drive, close down your machine and:
F.) Boot from the CD, you may get a message to "press any key to continue booting from CD" so allow this, Now follow the on-screen Linux Puppy prompts (remember don't install it) let it run in memory, it will be quite happy doing so, and will allow you access to your Hard drive so you can copy off to your external media anything you need. You will soon get used to Puppy and you'll find that you will be able to use the Internet and do most things that you want to do. However as you need to back up your files, I suggest you concentrate on copying off your important stuff first.

Post back when everything is backed up, or you have any questions and we will do our best to help
regards
paws
I am running puppy linux and i went to move my files from dir to my usb but not all the document moved and I don't know where they're at. i plugged in the usb into my other computer and tried to open a file i just moved and it does not open properly. What did i do wrong. sorry. is there an undo button somewhere. Thanks
Hi, its best to copy the files, not move them (doing the copy leaves the files exactly where they were and just creates identical copies on to your USB drive) If the files wont open on your USB it usually means they are damaged in some way, or there is a problem with your USb or the "new computer" I would try to copy the files again to the USB but this time do them using "drag and drop" and see how you go Regards Paws
hi, i now see i shouldve copied, i dont know what i was thinking, but some of my folders are missings(my pictures) from the usb and hard drive. is there any way to recover anything?
Move the USB drive back to the original computer, boot Puppy Linux again and see if you can see the files/folders on the USB drive. If yes, move them back to the windows hard drive. Did you perhaps format the USB drive while booted to Puppy Linux? If so did you chose FAT or FAT32? If not, maybe it formatted the drive as a Linux drive and Windows can't read it. If that's the case, then booting Puppy as I mentioned above should work.
oh, thank you. I have recovered all my pictures but there are still a few files/folders missing. I found them in a folder names "RECENT" but still cannot access them. I didn't format my usb but i think i unplugged it too early . I'm restarting computer again in hope of some more files appearing.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI