Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet connection issues after Combofix run

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tomboymama

Tomboymama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

Hi,

I am getting help for virus removal in the infections forum here

After the step where I ran Combofix, I was unable to connect back to the internet. I tried all of the suggestions for repairing the connection, rebooting etc. Finally after reading on the bleeping computer site, I found Winsockxpfix, and running that restored my connection. I work online thru a VPN connection. After running combofix I was unable to connect to the VPN client. It says that my Virtual Adaptor is not available. I talked to the tech support of the VPN client and they said I needed to uninstall and reinstall the VPN client. This is a 2-step process where I need to download and install the actual client and then without rebooting, download a profile. I can download and install the first part, but doing this causes the same internet disconnect as after running combofix and the only way to restore it is by running the Winsockxpfix and I am unable to get the profile downloaded. I am not able to work until I get this resolved, so I am hoping someone can help me figure out what could be causing the internet disconnect issues. Otherwise the connection seems to be fine now. Thank you!

Edited by appleoddity, 16 April 2010 - 07:50 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

Sounds like your LSP chain is getting messed up.

I need you to download this program (LSPFIX) then install your VPN client. When the internet breaks, run the LSPFIX program and tell me what is listed on the left hand side and the right hand side. DO NOT remove any entries or follow any suggestions of LSPFIX. Just exit the program until I advise you further.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 Tomboymama

Tomboymama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for your help

Posted Image

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

Was this screenshot taken while your internet was not working?

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#5 Tomboymama

Tomboymama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

Yes, I my physical cable connection still shows actively connected, but I get DNS errors on the actual IE page and get email host not available when trying to get email etc, so somewhere there is a disconnect.

#6 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

When your internet connections is not working please click start -> run -> type CMD and press ENTER. Copy and paste the following command and press ENTER...

ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & nslookup yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt

Wait a few seconds and notepad will open. Please copy and paste the contents of that file to the forum.

#7 Tomboymama

Tomboymama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:36 PM

Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Andi Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter {51CF0D7A-47A5-44F3-BC09-B6DA31344772}: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : PAN Virtual Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-50-41-00-00-01 Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again. Server: UnKnown Address: 127.0.0.1

#8 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:43 PM

It looks like whatever your VPN software is, it is replacing your real ethernet adapter with some kind of virtual adapter. I'm not sure what that is about. If anything, it should appear in addition to your regular ethernet connection. If you open control panel -> network connections when your internet is not working, can you take a screenshot of that please? Then, can you take a screenshot when it is working? I want to see the difference in listed adapters and status. Can you tell me the name or some other identifying information for the software you are installing?

#9 Tomboymama

Tomboymama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

Hi,

Here is a shot. It actually looks the same running or not and I think it is supposed to look this way. It is Cisco VPN client and allows me access to a network for transcription. From what I understand, when I log onto the network, the virtual adapter enables. Since running the Combofix, something changed and I am no longer able to log on. It tells me that the virtual adapter fails to enable. When I try to redownload I lose the connection, which running Winsockxpfix corrects. Other than that, the connection seems fine, so it may be some sort of conflict now with just this program, but I don't know how to figure out how I can fix it.

Posted Image

#10 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:31 PM

My concern is that it is showing these connections as disabled. Please right-click both "Local Area Connection" and "Local Area Connection 9" and choose "enable." See if this helps your problem. I guess one thing I should ask now, it appears you are connected wirelessly? Is this the way you always connect? I assume that the "Local Area Connection" is disabled because you don't use it? Do you have any idea what the "socket" dial-up connection is?

Edited by appleoddity, 16 April 2010 - 10:33 PM.

#11 Tomboymama

Tomboymama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

The first LAN is an old connection that is not used. The socket is a back up dial-up connection I keep set up for emergencies when my cable is out :-). The connection 7 is my current cable connection connected by a wireless adaptor (modem on separate computer in house). The connection 9 I can enable, but it is supposed to stay disabled until logging on to the VPN when it is supposed to trigger and enable. If I enable it and try to log in, it disables itself. It is supposed to automatically enable itself. Confusing I know. If I can for sure narrow it down to just that program (which is looking more and more likely) then their tech support should be able to figure it out, but I am assuming that something that Combofix removed has to be the cause of it. Hope that makes sense.

#12 Tomboymama

Tomboymama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

Yippee! I am happy to report that this is now fixed! See HERE

Thank you so much for your time trying to help me figure this out.