Svend
Topic Starter
Hi,
Every once in a while I stumble onto one of these #%@^! sites that try to sucker you into installing spyware masquerading as anti-virus software using a bogus screenshot of your My Computer drives with virus alerts. There's no danger of them fooling me but the fact that they're able to throw up a modal pop-up in FF with the following message:
The last thing I'm going do, of course, is do what they're trying to get me to do (i.e., click page to install God knows what), but I'm not able to close the tab without closing FF from the Task Mgr.
Are there any hard and fast rules for these situations? Is the always a FF message that is safe to click OK here? On the one hand, it sounds like OK will complete the action I started by clicking on the X, but I don't like the fact that the site was able to insert that 2nd line into the pop-up.
Is the only safe way to close these nuisances without closing FF?
Thanks.
unfortunately fact that the pages are often coded so that when you try to close the page it you get a popup
Every once in a while I stumble onto one of these #%@^! sites that try to sucker you into installing spyware masquerading as anti-virus software using a bogus screenshot of your My Computer drives with virus alerts. There's no danger of them fooling me but the fact that they're able to throw up a modal pop-up in FF with the following message:
"Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?
To prevent your PC from slowdown, press CANCEL.
Press OK to continue, or Cancel to stay on the current page."
The last thing I'm going do, of course, is do what they're trying to get me to do (i.e., click page to install God knows what), but I'm not able to close the tab without closing FF from the Task Mgr.
Are there any hard and fast rules for these situations? Is the always a FF message that is safe to click OK here? On the one hand, it sounds like OK will complete the action I started by clicking on the X, but I don't like the fact that the site was able to insert that 2nd line into the pop-up.
Is the only safe way to close these nuisances without closing FF?
Thanks.
unfortunately fact that the pages are often coded so that when you try to close the page it you get a popup