This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Computer Has Been Running Slow For A While-Have had a trojan

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello everyone, I stumbled across this forum earlier this week while looking for some explanations on the malware "XP Defender Pro". I figured I might as well jump on and ask for a bit of help. When I caught this malware, XP Defender Pro, I was luckily able to activate Spybot Search & Destroy which caught part of the problem and then I ran Malwarebytes and caught the rest of it I believe. A while back I also ran across a trojan or two. Between Virus Scans, Malwarebytes, and Spybot, I believe I have cleared up most of the problems I have had, I don't have anything abnormal happening but I am still a bit concerned. I read a lot of threads about remnants and not getting everything cleared up even though it seems like you have. I use AVG Free virus protection, run Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, and Tweaknow reg cleaner on a regular basis. I try to run a very tight ship with my desktop and have for a long time but I believe my computer is still slower than it used to be and am wondering if any remnants of the trojan(s) or malware I have run across in the past year or so have been left behind to continue to slow me down. I see a lot of people posting log files. The program I have ready to run is Hijackthis. If I run Hijackthis and post the log, would anyone be able to help me look over the log and bring anything questionable to my attention? Is there a better log program recommended? The thread I was reading earlier in the week referenced Rkill and DDS a lot which I had some problems getting to run…not sure if that was something specific to the XP Defender Pro issue I had. Can anyone help me try to quicken my computer back up? : )…thanks for reading.
Hello Subirex09 and Posted Image

My name is patndoris. I will be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. It will be very helpful if you follow these guidelines:
  • Malware logs are often lengthy and can take a lot of time to research and interpret. Please be patient while I review your logs.
  • Please note that there is no "Quick Fix" to modern malware infections and we may need to use several different approaches to get your system clean.
  • Please make sure to carefully read any instruction that I give you. If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
  • Please follow my instructions carefully and in the order they are posted. You may also find it helpful to print out the instructions you receive.
  • Please do not run any scans or install/uninstall any applications or delete anything without being directed to do so.
  • Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone. Please stick with me till you're given the "all clear".
  • Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file and submit it inside your post.
  • Please reply within 3 days. If I do not hear back from you in that time frame, I will post a reminder for you. Topics with no reply in 4 days are closed!
Please be advised I am still in training, and all of my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advice.
This may cause a delay in response time, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.

I will post back shortly with instructions.
HijackThis has largely been replaced by other tools. Since being acquired by TrendMicro, HijackThis has not been regularly updated. Many infections are now able to hide partly, or completely from a HijackThis scan. OTL ncludes all the scan locations of HijackThis and more. It's not only a more comprehensive scan tool, but also offers more powerful removal features.

Download and Run OTL
  • Download OTL to your desktop.
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:

    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    eventlog.dll
    scecli.dll
    netlogon.dll
    cngaudit.dll
    sceclt.dll
    ntelogon.dll
    logevent.dll
    iaStor.sys
    nvstor.sys
    atapi.sys
    IdeChnDr.sys
    viasraid.sys
    AGP440.sys
    vaxscsi.sys
    nvatabus.sys
    viamraid.sys
    nvata.sys
    nvgts.sys
    iastorv.sys
    ViPrt.sys
    eNetHook.dll
    ahcix86.sys
    KR10N.sys
    nvstor32.sys
    ahcix86s.sys
    nvrd32.sys
    symmpi.sys
    adp3132.sys
    mv61xx.sys
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav

  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt.
    Note:These logs can be located in the OTL. folder on you C:\ drive if they fail to open automatically.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply. You may need two posts to fit them both in.

If you have CDEmulation drivers installed (such as Daemon Tools, Alcohol120) please follow the instructions below to run DeFogger prior to and after running GMER. If you do not have any CDEmulation drivers installed, you do not need to run DeFogger and you can go right to the instructions to run GMER.

Download DeFogger

Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
  • The application window will appear
  • Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers
  • Click Yes to continue
  • A 'Finished!' message will appear
  • Click OK
  • DeFogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OK
IMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_disable which will appear on your desktop.

Do not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.

Download and Run GMER

[external image: Posted Image]
Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here or here.
  • Extract the contents of the zipped file to desktop.
  • Double click GMER.exe. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO.

    [external image: Posted Image]
    Click the image to enlarge it
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked.
    Uncheck the following …
    • Sections
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and copy/paste the results in your next reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries


Run DeFogger

To re-enable your Emulation drivers, double click DeFogger to run the tool.
  • The application window will appear
  • Click the Re-enable button to re-enable your CD Emulation drivers
  • Click Yes to continue
  • A 'Finished!' message will appear
  • Click OK
  • DeFogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OK
IMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_enable which will appear on your desktop.

Your Emulation drivers are now re-enabled.

If previous infections are not completely removed, some tools may not run. Please give GMER and OTL a try and let me know if you have any issues running them.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI