This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Personal Security Allert

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi I am back again. My own computer is still fine, my stepdaughter's (Heidiho) is also fixed and running great. I am now in Holland and my nephews computer is giving trouble. I went to the are you infected instructions but the Gmer scanner hung on me and now I can not even connect to the Whatthetech as it blocks your website as being unsafe. All the icons on the desktop disappear when I try to do anything. I did the system restore point and the registry backup and the dds, but the computer will not even recognize a memorystick so I cannot copy the logfiles to add to this post which I am writing on a different computer. Please help!!!!!!!
Hello there, gaia1995

:welcome:

I'm Conspire, I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Please observe these rules while we work:
  • Read the entire procedure
  • It is important to perform ALL actions in sequence.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Stick with me till you're given the all clear.
  • Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone.
  • Don't attempt to clean your computer with any tools other than the ones I ask you to use during the cleanup process.
Please be advised, as I am still in training, all my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advise.
This may cause a delay, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.

Please bear with me, I will post back to you as soon as I can.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.

**In any case where you happen to be busy or unable to give us a reply, we would be more than grateful if you keep us informed in advance and we will be more than happy to wait. :)
Hi Conspire, I will be happy to work with you. See that you are based in Malaysia, that's where we have been living the last few years. Am just visiting family and friends. Eagerly awaiting your instructions
Hi,

See that you are based in Malaysia, that's where we have been living the last few years. Am just visiting family and friends.

I see.. which part of Malaysia were you living in? If I may ask :)

===================================================

If you have an active internet connection, copy/paste the links below into your browser, don't click them or the rogue might redirect. If you don't have an active internet connection, download the tools from another machine, and transfer them to the affected machine via USB flash drive.


Please download and run the following tool to help allow other programs to run. (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com)
There are 4 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin
You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.


http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.pif


Note:

You will likely see a message from this rogue telling you the file is infected. Ignore the message. Leave the message OPEN, do not close the message. Run rkill repeatedly until it's able to do it's job. This may take a few tries. You'll be able to tell rkill has done it's job when your desktop (explorer.exe) cycles off and then on again.

At this point, you should now be able to run analysis tools.

Once the tool has run, do NOT reboot the machine, and then try once again to run OTL and GMER.

If for some reason the machine reboots, repeat the process. Again, try not to restart the machine.

===================================================

  • Download OTL to your desktop.
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Under Custom Scan paste this in
    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    eventlog.dll
    scecli.dll
    netlogon.dll
    cngaudit.dll
    sceclt.dll
    ntelogon.dll
    logevent.dll
    iaStor.sys
    nvstor.sys
    atapi.sys
    IdeChnDr.sys
    viasraid.sys
    AGP440.sys
    vaxscsi.sys
    nvatabus.sys
    viamraid.sys
    nvata.sys
    nvgts.sys
    iastorv.sys
    ViPrt.sys
    eNetHook.dll
    ahcix86.sys
    KR10N.sys
    nvstor32.sys
    ahcix86s.sys
    nvrd32.sys
    symmpi.sys
    adp3132.sys
    mv61xx.sys
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav

  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply.
  • You may need two posts to fit them both in.
===================================================

[external image: Posted Image]
Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here or here.
  • Extract the contents of the zipped file to desktop.
  • Double click GMER.exe. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO.

    [external image: Posted Image]
    Click the image to enlarge it
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
    • Sections
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and attach it in your reply.

**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries


===================================================

On your next reply please post :
OTL log
GMER

Good Day!
Hi We have a sailboat based on Tioman Island right now. Also spent a year in Kudat, Sabah. Really like both places a lot! As I'm leaving today for about a week and I did not want to leave this computer is such a mess I went ahead and followed the instructions in one of the other threads in the forum that also had a Personal Security Allert message. It worked and I am using the computer again!!!! I must appoligize for jumping the gun, this is my third contact with whatthetech and with the other two I never went ahead. Even though everything is working again and the personal security alert has disappeared I still want to run the other checks as specified by you just to make sure there is nothing else. But as I said I will be leaving today. Is it ok to put this on hold for one week till I'm back with this computer?? Thanks a lot and again my apoligies for jumping the gun Helen

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI