This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Ave.exe as well.

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

I was trying to download from Megaupload.com when a pop infected my computer with the ave.exe. I tried to deny it internet link when my Trend Micro asked me if I should let it have access or not. Regardless, it cold reboot the computer and then did a system restore to Saturday. Unfortunately, the computer is still infected. I get these pop ups and I really don't want to reformat even though it might be a time saver.

I googled ave.exe removal and it brought me to http://forums.whatthetech.com/ave_exe_t110986.html, but I noticed he was using Vista and the code might work differently for me if I tried to run the same commands. Hopefully someone can help me. I tried running a virus scan but it didn't work.
[external image: Posted Image]

Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

I suggest you do this:

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.

Open Taskmanager (Ctrl/Alt/Del) and end the process for the file AV.EXE if listed.


1. launch Notepad (Start>All Programs>Accessories), and copy/paste all the Quoted REGEDIT below to it. Don't forget to include REGEDIT4.
Save in: Desktop
File Name: fixme.reg
Save as Type: All files
Click: Save

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\open\command]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile\shell\open\command]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile]



2. Save this text as fixme.reg. Make sure the "Save as type:" is "All Files (*.*)" and save it to your desktop.
3. Double-click on fixme.reg. When it asks you to merge the information to the registry click Yes.

4.Empty Recycle Bin

Reboot and
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI