This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Online Armor question

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Just recently I was using Spybot to Immunize, during this process I was halted with a warning by Online Armor, stating that a program wanted to change my hosts file.

Here is a screen shot.
📎OA.JPG
Can someone please advise on what the best thing to do in this situation.
I have currently Blocked. :unsure:

I have researched to some extent with only this as any sort of reference….
  • http://www.ip-adress.com/whois/wad.adbasket.net
  • http://www.robtex.com/dns/wad.adbasket.net.html
  • http://www.robtex.com/dns/adbasket.net.html

Many thanks,
Jkc73 :notworthy:


Edit: Just after posting I became aware that this was not the only culprit…many more wished to have access. I'm guessing that Spybot and Online Armor have a different view of what should be allowed and what shouldn't. I blocked all the remaining ads.*.* requests and so on.
I would still like to hear someones opinion other then mine. :blush:
Hi, the way I read that is that online armor reporting that "a program is trying to make a change to your hosts file" was actually referring to spybot that was trying to add entries to your 'custom' hosts file (that, essentially, is what the immunization process does) spybot was trying to place adbasket in your hosts file so that if you tried to "visit" adbasket you wouldn't be allowed - you would be directed "home" to local host which in my opinion is a "good thing" so personally I would "allow" the changes that spybot is trying to make to your hosts file If you read the alert carefully it clearly states the program is trying to place the file into your hosts so that if you typed the url of the "bad address" you would be directed home instead of to the 'bad address' the only thing online armor doesn't do is identify Spybot as the program trying to make the change. hope that helps you understand it a bit better.
CatByte

Thanks for that :thumbup:

Just seemed strange that Online Armor did what it did, I have not been using it long. I usually have Comodo as my firewall and it never warned me when I immunized with Spybot.
Everything is fine now, I think :unsure:

I re-immunized and Online Armor didn't show any warnings, though I did the unthinkable and typed in wad.adbasket.net to the browser to receive a 404, so I am guessing the immunization worked. I will look through the hosts file in the morning.


If you have any other suggestions…. :notworthy:


Thanks,
Jkc73

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI