Hello,
At my house I have a computer with Windows XP that currently is connected to my wireless internet box. This computer is connected to the wireless box via the cable and does not have a wireless card. I have another computer in a different room in the house which used to run off Windows Vista and connected to my wireless internet via a wireless USB adapter (D-Link). I recently ugraded to Windows 7, however this version of Windows 7 was not genuine and I had to buy another copy of Windows 7 (I was able to still access the internet with the faulty version of Windows 7). I had installed Windows 7 Ultimate and the copy of Windows 7 I got was Home Premium so I was unable to just upgrade. I had to basically re-install windows 7 and everything on my computer was reset. I re-installed my wireless adapter and tried to connect to my wireless internet without any luck. I found the right network and typed the password (I know it is right because I have connected before) and it keeps telling me that it is unable to connect to the network. Is there a setting or something I need to change on Windows or my computer in order for my computer to properly connect?
Thanks.
Hi there,
Can you look in your device manager and post here what type of network adapter you have? You can get there in Windows 7 by going to Start Menu -> Control Panel -> System and there should be a link or tab that reads Device Manager. Look for the Network Adapters section and tell us what you find there.
My network adapter is a D-Link DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB Adapter. It also says "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller". I am not sure if I have to disable this one in order for the D-Link one to work or not.
Hello 200238818,
Which utility are you using to connect to your wireless network. If you use the d-link supplied client try using windows network & sharing center.
Have you checked the properties of the wireless adapter when the connection failure occurs?
Try running "ipconfig /all" in a command prompt window, if you see your IP address as something other than a 192.168.x.x address there you can try setting a static IP address.
Rich
It says my wireless d-link adapter is working properly and I have tried to connect with both the d-link utility and network and sharing center. The IP address also appears correct.
I believe rharrison was asking you to let Windows mange your wireless network instead of D-link. To do that:
1. Open Services (Start then Run, type services.msc and press Enter)
2. Double click on Wireless Zero Configuration
3. Set Startup type to Automatic
4. Click the Start button to start the service
5. Click Apply then OK
6. Open Network Connections in Control Panel.
7. Right click on Wireless Network Connection, select Properties.
8. Click the Wireless Networks tab and check the "Use Windows to configure my
wireless network settings" box.
9. Click OK.
Shutdown and reboot to have this take effect.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI