This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

PC freezes randomly every five or ten mins need to manual restart

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:wacko: The first problem I noticed with my PC is that it was all of a sudden freezing for no apparent reason and not when I was doing anything specific. Happens during games, youtube videos, or just when I am surfing the net. When it freezes like this I can sometimes CTRL-ALT-DEL and get the task manager window to pop up however the mouse then freezes, leaving me without any other option other then to hit the power button to restart. Sometimes I will hear a long beep coming from the mother board right before I hit the button to restart. This happens every few times. Not long after the freezing issue I noticed that I started getting this weird popup as soon as I got to desktop saying "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fullfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client." I have never used Outlook to send a message so have no idea where this is coming from but have since stopped it. My windows live messenger has stopped working and I am getting an error message stating that the image icon is bad and to check it against my installation disk. Sorry didn't take note of exactly what it says but something very similar to that. I have gotten a black screen with this error about three times in the last two days "81k/154 Hz Frequency is out of Range" This seems to go away if i restart the pc. If I try running either Combat Arms or Rappelz, the game will run for a brief period of time (usually a few mins) then the sound will start skipping and the game (as well as my pc) will stop responding forcing me to hit the power button to restart. I tried system restore but this didn't seem to change anything considering that the furthest date from todays to restore it to was only two weeks earlier I've tried running Malware Bytes Anti Malware (which found and removed lots of stuff) - No change Advanced System Care (also found and removed lots) - No change Ad-aware - (found and removed lots)- No change I use Spybot Search and destroy and I also run CCleaner on a regular basis I've done the windows xp disk check - no major problems - No change Had this pc since the beginning of 2008. PC specs: System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD System Model: MS-6501 BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Processor: AMD Athlon™ MP 2200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz Memory: 2048MB RAM Page File: 1207MB used, 2735MB available Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435) I will provide any additional info you need that could help to solve this problem as it seems to be getting worse. Thanks in advance.
Hello AngelinaSkye,

Welcome to WTT!

I see that you have a thread open at PCPitStop and are currently working with Katana to get your computer cleaned up of malware. I suggest you stick with Katana until they give you the all clear and tell you that your computer is clean. Until they do so I'm afraid we can't be of any help to you. The reason for this is when you ask for advice on different forums you have more than one person giving you advice on how to proceed with an issue you are experiencing which can cause conflicts to arise. If you still need help after being declared clean by Katana then we would be happy to assist you to the best of our abilities with the issues you are experiencing. I've gone ahead and alerted Katana of your thread that you have open here at WhatTheTech.

Your in Good Hands with Katana.

SweetTect.
:unsure: Yes I do have multiple posts of this issue but this is basically a result of the problem getting significantly worse to the point I'm kind of nearing panic mode as I want to improve this issue before my pc stops booting and becomes unfixable. :blush: I apologize for my multiple posts but I don't know how else to get the problem solved sooner than later. Angel
Hello AngelinaSkye,

It's better to post on one forum, and wait for a helper to assist you. Malware Fighters are very limited these days, and if your receiving help from more than one forum it is tying up more than one helper. I have made Katana aware of the other forums that you have posted on asking for help. I suggest you stick with Katana and ask that the other threads at any other forums be closed.

As I've previously mentioned you are in Good Hands with Katana.

Good Luck!

SweetTech.
:pullhair: :smack: :o I've been checking pit stop forum literally every half hour and still not received any further instructions. I'm really freaking out now cuz the problem has gotten ALOT worse. A few mins ago when my pc froze and I manually restarted it (normal boot) once I got to the desktop I tried to open firefox and got some weird error that I have never seen before. I tried print screening it but pc froze so didn't get it saved anywhere. The Error title said Malformed something. I remember that it specifically had that word in it but unfortunately can't remember exactly what it said. Luckily I was able to boot up in safe mode with networking and run firefox. My pc is freezing like every two to three mins now, and I am seriously worried it will just stop working altogether. This is my only pc, and I am a single mom who cannot afford to buy a new one if this one dies. :unsure: I understand that I should be specifically receiving help from one person both to avoid any conflicting advice and to not tie up the tech support volunteers. I also know that my post on pcpitstop probably hasn't been replied to again because Katana has a life and will get to it when she can. I also am certain that Katana is a good person for helping me, it's just that if I'm going to get help (from anyone) I have a feeling that it needs to be soon :unsure: Otherwise my pc may stop working altogether. :unsure: Is there any way that you can pick up where she left off and try to assist me? If you can i will request my posts be removed from the other forums, I just REALLY need some help :smack: :wall:
AngelinaSkye

As it happens, I am a member of all the forums you have posted at, the ones I have found anyway.

Yes, I do have a life.
No, no one else will "Pick up" whilst I am helping you.

I've been checking pit stop forum literally every half hour and still not received any further instructions

That's because we have been busy trying to close all the other threads that you have opened.


ALL the helpers on these forums do this in our spare time.
If you require your machine fixing faster, I suggest that you take it to a local shop.
If you still wish me to assist you, I recommend that you close any threads that I haven't found and confine your posting to PCPitStop for now.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI